Page 20 of 118 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    I got a ULS demo in a close corporate office with no air filter or exhaust pipe. The demo was engraving wood and cutting acrylic. The air compressor was run in the other room to keep it quiet.
    Or not. Either it was using one of their integrated air filter/exhaust carts, or the "compressor" was really an extractor blower and you didn't notice the big hose going through the wall.

Hint: a few seconds of rastering wood without an exhaust system will fill the machine with smoke. A few minutes will frag the optics. Not to mention that no one seriously trying to sell a laser would ever do that.
    You guys are really reaching now, maybe get some help figuring out where your rage is actually coming from and direct it there?
    "Rage"?!? Seriously? Do we need to put "trigger warnings" on our posts so you don't get upset?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    I don't think I should have to explain "normal conversation".
    Actually you do, since you brought it up. So what's your acceptable level of background noise for "normal conversation"? (Feel free to use kitchen appliances as examples.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Perhaps it would be better to just stick to the discussion that it is deceptive to expect to be able to operate a GF in a home environment, as advertised (those sneaky liars). I've provided real-world examples that can be witnessed in several videos and based on my personal experience of operating more than one laser in a retail and studio environment, where listening to music and casual conversation happen daily. Suffice it to say, I don't understand the contention. Anything else is not a "normal conversation", but just splitting hairs to rebel against.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Or not. Either it was using one of their integrated air filter/exhaust carts, or the "compressor" was really an extractor blower and you didn't notice the big hose going through the wall.

Hint: a few seconds of rastering wood without an exhaust system will fill the machine with smoke. A few minutes will frag the optics. Not to mention that no one seriously trying to sell a laser would ever do that."Rage"?!? Seriously? Do we need to put "trigger warnings" on our posts so you don't get upset?
    The compressor was running the air assist.

Funny you mention trigger warnings, I was going to ask you that since the last conversation we had ended with you rage-quitting the thread:

You and I are different in one important respect: I can justify spending the money for quality tools to support my hobby.

Yes, hobby. If you think I'm one of the professionals whose opinions you have so little use for, you really haven't been paying attention.

I'm done here.

The compressor was running the air assist.

Funny you mention trigger warnings, I was going to ask you that since the last conversation we had ended with you rage-quitting the thread:
    A compressor sufficient to handle the air-assist function is quiet enough to stay in the same room. I notice you completely ignored my other observations.

As far as "rage" goes, there is/was no rage involved. And I should have been more precise: I did not mean I was done with the thread, I meant I was done playing rhetorical whack-a-mole with someone who shows no evidence of being interested in honest debate. HAND

A compressor sufficient to handle the air-assist function is quiet enough to stay in the same room.
    I can't even hear the compressor on my Trotec and it does an adequate job. It's so quiet that I have to check the nozzle to see if air is flowing.

A compressor sufficient to handle the air-assist function is quiet enough to stay in the same room. I notice you completely ignored my other observations.

As far as "rage" goes, there is/was no rage involved. And I should have been more precise: I did not mean I was done with the thread, I meant I was done playing rhetorical whack-a-mole with someone who shows no evidence of being interested in honest debate. HAND
    Take that up with the rep I guess.

I was actually glad you rage-quit earlier, I was starting to get frustrated with you ignoring the facts. I don't think "debate" means what you think it means.

Take that up with the rep I guess.

I was actually glad you rage-quit earlier, I was starting to get frustrated with you ignoring the facts. I don't think "debate" means what you think it means.
    And rage doesn't mean what you think it does.

It would be difficult for me to have ignored the facts in your posts, as they were conspicuous by their absence.

I'll answer that for you Lee since Matt skirted it once again. Personally I enjoy the sound of a toaster. A microwave oven every now and then. The GF's target market has no idea what a 3d laser printer is so they're going to relate it to the inkjet sitting on their desk. When this thing fires up in a mode to actually get something done in a kitchen (air assist and filtration on), they are going to be shocked. Any other laser with built in air such as the Trotec Gary mentioned is big and solid and made of steel. The GF is small and made of plastic.

I agree that we're splitting hairs here. My point was the deception of the image of the GF in the kitchen. It's deceptive in more ways than one and has been pointed out in a forum where the founder of the product has been known to frequent. It takes a conscious effort to keep that image on their home page. 30 seconds would swap that image out. If not in a garage, a small studio. Hey Dan, just swap that image out with something realistic so people don't get the wrong idea.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I'll answer that for you Lee since Matt skirted it once again. Personally I enjoy the sound of a toaster. A microwave oven every now and then. The GF's target market has no idea what a 3d laser printer is so they're going to relate it to the inkjet sitting on their desk. When this thing fires up in a mode to actually get something done in a kitchen (air assist and filtration on), they are going to be shocked. Any other laser with built in air such as the Trotec Gary mentioned is big and solid and made of steel. The GF is small and made of plastic.
    What's funny is that after all that, you didn't even answer Lee's question. You must have been distracted by the pleasant sounds of toasters and the occasional microwave.

By your reasoning, big machines made of steel make less noise than smaller things made of plastic? I suspect a large production machine (that you mention) with all ancillary equipment would be much louder in the kitchen as opposed to a Glowforge. Call me crazy.

I agree that we're splitting hairs here. My point was the deception of the image of the GF in the kitchen. It's deceptive in more ways than one and has been pointed out in a forum where the founder of the product has been known to frequent. It takes a conscious effort to keep that image on their home page. 30 seconds would swap that image out. If not in a garage, a small studio. Hey Dan, just swap that image out with something realistic so people don't get the wrong idea.
    The machine could be used in a kitchen. I'm sure there are already those that do. There is no deceit and is a silly argument in my opinion.

Doug I have no idea what a 3d laser printer is can you explain to me what that is. I see all these 3d printers on the market and they take some raw material like string plastic and they melt it down and it forms a 3d object and this I can see and understand. But if I have to picture a 3d laser printer I see a laser head spitting out a beam of light making a 3d object and as far as I know there is no such animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I'll answer that for you Lee since Matt skirted it once again. Personally I enjoy the sound of a toaster. A microwave oven every now and then. The GF's target market has no idea what a 3d laser printer is so they're going to relate it to the inkjet sitting on their desk. When this thing fires up in a mode to actually get something done in a kitchen (air assist and filtration on), they are going to be shocked. Any other laser with built in air such as the Trotec Gary mentioned is big and solid and made of steel. The GF is small and made of plastic. The GF is nothing more then another laser cutter engraver. These people buying them think this thing will print a 3d object, boy will they be in for a surprise.

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    What's funny is that after all that, you didn't even answer Lee's question. You must have been distracted by the pleasant sounds of toasters and the occasional microwave.

By your reasoning, big machines made of steel make less noise than smaller things made of plastic? I suspect a large production machine (that you mention) with all ancillary equipment would be much louder in the kitchen as opposed to a Glowforge. Call me crazy.

The machine could be used in a kitchen. I'm sure there are already those that do. There is no deceit and is a silly argument in my opinion.
    Really? So Lee's question "So what's your acceptable level of background noise for "normal conversation"? (Feel free to use kitchen appliances as examples.)" wasn't answered by my response "Personally I enjoy the sound of a toaster. A microwave oven every now and then."

Regarding steel vs plastic, were are talking about the same volume of air being delivered to a laser's air assist system. Don't be ridiculous. Build the GF out of the same steel other lasers are made from and it will be more quiet. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Doug I have no idea what a 3d laser printer is can you explain to me what that is. I see all these 3d printers on the market and they take some raw material like string plastic and they melt it down and it forms a 3d object and this I can see and understand. But if I have to picture a 3d laser printer I see a laser head spitting out a beam of light making a 3d object and as far as I know there is no such animal.
    How about those 3D SLA widgets that use a laser to solidify liquid resin a layer at a time?
    Those probably qualify as "3D Laser Printers", but I've never heard of anyone calling them that...

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    There actually is such an animal and it is not a Glowforge. Nothing like it. It requires a resin. Check out http://formlabs.com for a small desktop version.