Page 47 of 118 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Blog Entries
    Nine Days ago from Dan's last post-

It's been a wild month! To start with the most important topic: our schedule is unchanged, and we continue to deliver units of ever improving quality to our testing partners, folks like you, and a few famous customers.
    At some point we'll have press units out for review, but right now, the only folks receiving Glowforge deliveries are preorder customers like you.
    Meanwhile at the office, it feels like we've turned a corner. This month we put an end to our most sticky problems - a batch of bad tubes that was't able to engrave well, a bug that was causing the machine to reboot occasionally during prints, and a supplier problem with a linear system component that was causing wobbly engraves.

ZERO information about 'hundreds' and they aren't even shipping to reviewers.
    BUGGY and production 'issues' They are shipping to someone, but not many and not enough.......
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-16-2017 at 9:53 AM. Reason: Removed Forum Link
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

still struggling with component quality???????
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Could you copy and paste the part about hundreds are being shipped
    Already did. It can also be found in the non-existent update threads.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    ZERO information about 'hundreds' and they aren't even shipping to reviewers.
    BUGGY and production 'issues' They are shipping to someone, but not many and not enough.......
    The "ZERO" information is in that thread you copy/pasted. You'll just have to read a little further. Units were sent to Tested as well as Make Magazine for little reviews.

a batch of bad tubes that was't able to engrave well,
    I found out who is making their tubes

I'll repeat what I mentioned earlier, 3 - 6 months after they are fully released and you will be seeing a lot of problems.....

Matt, Tested and MakeMagazine are paid reviews
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    I'll repeat what I mentioned earlier, 3 - 6 months after they are fully released and you will be seeing a lot of problems.....
    I think your prediction can't possibly happen... for mass failures to happen they would have to actually ship product.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I think your prediction can't possibly happen... for mass failures to happen they would have to actually ship product.

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Matt, Tested and MakeMagazine are paid reviews
    Doesn't seem like that is correct, but I'm all ears.

Tested and Make magazine received beta units that were not fully functional and how does two make it hundreds unless they had to ship a hundred to each of them to get one that worked

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Tested and Make magazine received beta units that were not fully functional and how does two make it hundreds unless they had to ship a hundred to each of them to get one that worked
    They both made things on the units received, so fully functional is relative. The most recent, Make Magazine, said that there are "still a few problems", but the title of the article is "The Glowforge is Almost Here and it's Worth the Wait", if you need context on the reviewer's opinion, without reading the article.

I don't know if hundreds have been shipped, but that is what Dan has said and why I pointed you in that direction. I'm not going to debate your opinion on whether they have or not. There are many threads about projects made on a GF by customers on their forum, so they do exist. Dan has mentioned tweaking what is coming off the assembly line, so it's very likely they will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    They both made things on the units received, so fully functional is relative. The most recent, Make Magazine, said that there are "still a few problems", but the title of the article is "The Glowforge is Almost Here and it's Worth the Wait", if you need context on the reviewer's opinion, without reading the article.

I don't know if hundreds have been shipped, but that is what Dan has said and why I pointed you in that direction. I'm not going to debate your opinion on whether they have or not. There are many threads about projects made on a GF by customers on their forum, so they do exist. Dan has mentioned tweaking what is coming off the assembly line, so it's very likely they will be made.
    Have you watched the tested video? Adam said that he could not use the full size of the table. The register was way off. Just because they made something doesn't mean it is fully functional. Have any production units shipped as of now. Dan also claimed that they would ship in 2015 2 years ago If you read the forum there are more negative comments then positive ones.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 02-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.

I can tell you this much, they are on an advertising blitz on Facebook. They are also quick to remove negative or comments questioning the shipping dates. All you see are glowing remarks about how great it's going to be. To be fair, most Facebook ads are similar.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    I can tell you this much, they are on an advertising blitz on Facebook. They are also quick to remove negative or comments questioning the shipping dates. All you see are glowing remarks about how great it's going to be. To be fair, most Facebook ads are similar.
    How odd, I have yet to see one. And Facebook has the tendency to absolutely bury me in ads for things I either don't want or already own.
    Go figure.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    How odd, I have yet to see one. And Facebook has the tendency to absolutely bury me in ads for things I either don't want or already own.
    Go figure.
    I'm not sure how their algorithms work for targeting, but I see at least 3, maybe more a day. And they are all different ad campaigns. This last one was a video of them cutting acrylic and making a boombox iPhone holder out of it.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    I'm not sure how their algorithms work for targeting, but I see at least 3, maybe more a day.
    Maybe because I've never had a good reason to visit the GF site or forum?

(I've never been able to understand the point of FB feeding me an Amazon ad for something I just bought the week before...on Amazon.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Surprise surprise

Blowforge announce tubes cannot be swapped by end users and the entire machine has to be shipped back for replacement when the tube dies, if end users do it, the warranty is voided. So that's a 70lb machine that has to be shipped back to one of their "service centres"

Anybody left that still wants to defend this unworkable boat anchor?

This is what happens when people that don't understand lasers start making lasers (see my comment on the last page about 3-6 months after release and tube problems, now you know why)
    You did what !