Page 83 of 118 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Exactly. It's not a business machine. It can be a hard concept to grasp for the professional user that can only see ROI. I suppose it is possibly to have a small, side-hustle business to try to recoup the cost of the machine, or make some pocket money, but it wouldn't be my first or second choice to do that.
    If I was trying to create a gift for my grandmother and couldn't, I'd still be ticked off. Business or no business, having a piece of equipment unnessesarily tied to the cloud is looking for trouble.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

There are a lot of people that are counting on running a business with the GF. People who do not have a clue, but they have ideas and have bought (literally) into the hype. Those are the ones like the veteran I ran into on another Forum who could not be swayed from his belief in the sales pitch.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    If I was trying to create a gift for my grandmother and couldn't, I'd still be ticked off. Business or no business, having a piece of equipment unnessesarily tied to the cloud is looking for trouble.
    I'm not sure what Jerome saw, but it looks like a few users posted that they couldn't connect last night and that the issue was resolved in about an hour. Crisis averted

I'm not sure what Jerome saw, but it looks like a few users posted that they couldn't connect last night and that the issue was resolved in about an hour. Crisis averted
    Only an hour being down wow I didn't see where it came back up. But that hour it was down you where still in the water at least I don't have to rely on a internet connection I can cut when my internet is down

If that hour was the sealing rings I'm doing as I type, that's £2,000 down the drain

True, it's not a business machine, the problem is, it's been touted as one....
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    If that hour was the sealing rings I'm doing as I type, that's £2,000 down the drain

True, it's not a business machine, the problem is, it's been touted as one....
    Dave, you're a brilliant guy. I saw Steve's compliments on another thread, and wholeheartedly agree. You sometimes operate on a different wavelength from the average user, though. No one is making sealing rings on a GF, and all of their marketing focuses on the machine in the home environment (kitchen, den, children, etc.) As you will recall, this caused a lot of SMC heartache.

Being down for any amount of time is not acceptable. Being that their was no reason to make it a cloud based machine. They should have made it so it cn be used anytime, not dependent on the net. yes Matt we all have had down tome do to machine problem's, but we don't need added down time do to the mfg'r ignorant decision to make it cloud based
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

what happens when you have an expensive item in it when it goes down.

Blog Entries
    It might come back up and only have a glitch. You like Glitches in your engraving don't you? They are Odd and sometimes a frustrating thing kind of like having tribbles.
    Might happen at any time, never can tell. I DO know if my Chinese loses power, it will try and start off where it left off. If I don't move anything, it has been pretty accurate.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

My Triumph has a 'power off restart' too. I can uplug it, turn it off, stop it any way I know how, and it'll pick up where it left off on re-start. If other eastern machines are like mine, when you turn the power off, the power doesn't actually cut off for like 3 seconds. I assume this a form of temporary UPS and the controller uses those 3 seconds to store last known coordinates. All I know is, it works, and I would assume the GF will do this also...

It's the one thing my western machines DON'T do, and I wish they would!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    My Triumph has a 'power off restart' too. I can uplug it, turn it off, stop it any way I know how, and it'll pick up where it left off on re-start. If other eastern machines are like mine, when you turn the power off, the power doesn't actually cut off for like 3 seconds. I assume this a form of temporary UPS and the controller uses those 3 seconds to store last known coordinates. All I know is, it works, and I would assume the GF will do this also...

It's the one thing my western machines DON'T do, and I wish they would!
    RD and AWC do Kev but Leetro don't on anything under the 6585, the RD and AWC run in retro, the moves are sent to a holding buffer before being executed on a read ahead system (a bit like full size CNC's like the Hardinge and Mori Seiki's) so they know the next move and have it allocated before execution.

It's the one big problem with older leetro's not having it
    You did what !

I was so excited last night when I got my "golden email" as we all have named it! I am beyond excited. Leaving the Corporate world after 18 years... Glowforge you are a part of my next chapter
    This is what I get annoyed about...a decent person with dreams that will very likely end up crushed....
    You did what !

This is what I get annoyed about...a decent person with dreams that will very likely end up crushed....
    And when they get their golden email it means that they are in line to get one in 3 to 6 weeks. So much for all will be shipped by the end of Oct.

Devil's advocate: Why get annoyed at GF?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    And when they get their golden email it means that they are in line to get one in 3 to 6 weeks. So much for all will be shipped by the end of Oct.
    I'm not sure why they are doing this, but it looks like the machines are build-to-order after they email confirm a previous confirmation (pre-order). I wish GF would be more transparent about their shipping process.

I've seen it posted that most are receiving units 2-4 weeks after shipping email.

Matt - Devil's advocate: Why get annoyed at GF?

False and misleading advertising, pretty much evident if your reading the Thread.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10