Page 49 of 118 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

And people are saying that there was no emailing of the new developments just the forum so many do not know. Dan also posted that they were changing again and will offer laser tube to the owners as others on the forum have posted that other laser manufacturers offer replacement parts including laser tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    I think he might be referring to Dave's comment that I have quoted above.
    Yes, I’m referring to the statement that the dates were pushed back another month that Dave made. I think maybe dave was hoping we’d take his word and not call him out. No need to throw more controversy than already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Glowforge is the biggest scam going yikes what was it 45 mil or something.Ya'll keep waiting
    No, it is not a scam. There may be some elements of their operation that seem scam like, such as deciding to ship out of order to customers that are more attractive to them (is that true?), but they did not start this venture with the intent to deceive.

I *hate* how they are calling it "The 3D Laser Printer". I understand why they chose that name and I disagree strongly with their reasoning. They could have hired any number of us for some valuable input which may have prevented many of their issues, but they probably would not have listened. "We" would have given them advice that is contradictory to what their goals are. Meaning, we would have nixed may of their ideas and the end result would have been a more "regular" machine - which is not what they are after.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    No, it is not a scam. There may be some elements of their operation that seem scam like, such as deciding to ship out of order to customers that are more attractive to them (is that true?), but they did not start this venture with the intent to deceive.

I *hate* how they are calling it "The 3D Laser Printer". I understand why they chose that name and I disagree strongly with their reasoning. They could have hired any number of us for some valuable input which may have prevented many of their issues, but they probably would not have listened. "We" would have given them advice that is contradictory to what their goals are. Meaning, we would have nixed may of their ideas and the end result would have been a more "regular" machine - which is not what they are after.

But maybe there would be a shipped machine

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    No, it is not a scam. ....... but they did not start this venture with the intent to deceive.
    Just curious how you can possibly know that either of these statements are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Just curious how you can possibly know that either of these statements are true.
    There's no way to know someone's intent. But I would say when they got venture capitalists involved they no doubt did their due diligence (one would certainly hope anyways).
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    There's no way to know someone's intent. But I would say when they got venture capitalists involved they no doubt did their due diligence (one would certainly hope anyways).
    "Due diligence" being defined as "make sure we get our required ROI before the villagers arrive with torches and pitchforks". I'm not clear on how much difference "intent to deceive" makes to the guy with the worthless piece of paper in his hand. In the long run, he may be better off if they did intend to deceive: at least then there's some legal recourse. But the VC's will no doubt be first in line to pick over the bones.

Even without any intent to deceive, I have to wonder if, when they finally throw their hands in the air and give up, they'll use they same method to determine refund order that they're now using to determine shipping order.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    There's no way to know someone's intent.
    That was exactly my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    ...because I know people in the same circle as the founder.

Is it possible that the whole thing is a scam, and he has also scammed/conned the people that I know? Yes, technically possible - but not reasonably so.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Is it like the diamond mine deeds back in the day

Blog Entries
    Look, he had a 'working' machine when he started. It is NOTHING like what they will end up with. If it was, it would already have been produced and shipped a year ago.
    If you take a step back, go to the main website and watch the videos from two years ago, and interview/sales pitch from somewhere around that time also, it APPEARS to be a great advance. Dan only shows snippets of the thing working. But several nicely produced items. Which I think with the final product, will be hard to produce.
    But I was almost ready to plunk down big $ for a crappy little thing that won't be much better than the cheapest $250 ebay laser. He is THAT good of a pitchman. And getting investors to plunk down a few million wasn't hard for him.

PRODUCING a working and VIABLE product has become much more difficult. And I STILL don't think he'll succeed.

He MIGHT ship a few hundred or a thousand, but they'll be coming right back in just as fast......
    If I had spent the money, I'd have asked for it back a long time ago. And it isn't just because of the delays. BTW, it wouldn't work for me as you will have to have a really good stable internet. I have stinking Satellite, and no other options... not even dialup!

Yes, just my opinion.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I don't think it's a scam at all. I suspect he'll be delivering units sooner or later. I also suspect that these early buyers are of little concern to them. They are mere parts of a larger chess game he's playing. Do you really think he has a passion to be a laser manufacturer? After all, he has a documented past of various accomplishments. His pattern is he creates something, sells it for a lot of money and moves on to the next project. I also suspect this isn't any different to him. Why do I suggest these orders mean little to him? Because the end user having machines isn't important at this point. What is going to be important is that when they go out, they appear to be pretty well fine tuned, from a company standpoint. That'll get great media buzz and create a ton of excitement from potential bidders to buy the company. When they see a finely tuned project, they won't care about anything prior to that day, all they will care about is knowing that they can turn it into a billion dollar company. They'll buy the company for $500 million and he'll move on to the next great thing.

He wants to get machines to those who have supported him because that's his pattern. He's bought every review you see online. There's not one independent review that I've seen. Reddit posts have documented that "reviews" were in fact paid advertisements that looked like reviews. He's following that path again. "Let's make sure all the people that say we're awesome get machines first" just puts your cheerleaders into cheerleading mode. When it comes out, there will be so much positive press it won't be funny. You'll see the bidding war start because no one will find a single bad thing said.

So he will have taken $28 million in investments and turned that into $500 million and he'll be the golden child. It's not that hard to see when you look at the things going on.

I can't wait for the consumers to start changing tubes. Nothing is more fun that getting electrocuted while unhooking a tube......
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Tubes are going to be the problem.

The push back delivery is based on "nice" posters in the forum getting first service.

It matters not what the widgit is, Scotty is right, this is about making a company worth money on paper.

When that tube dies inside a month due to heat and the user want's to replace it with a "kit" from GF...what will happen to their warranty on the rest of the machine?

Who will pay the £483 postal cost of shipping a 70lb machine from the EU back to America to have a $200 tube fitted?

The other alternative is the Muse from FSL that is getting slammed REALLY badly due to faults and problems even this short a time after release

Decent hard working folks trying to reach for a dream are going to get stiffed over this thing...
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Hey Dave,

Regarding the Muse....for what it is worth the sales people at our local Rockler store, a wood workers store that is carrying CNC's now along with FSL lasers, smile at you with reallllllllly thin tight lips when you ask them how they are doing with FSL. The smiles are the sort of smiles that make you take a few steps back if you know what I mean. <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Hey Dave,

Regarding the Muse....for what it is worth the sales people at our local Rockler store, a wood workers store that is carrying CNC's now along with FSL lasers, smile at you with reallllllllly thin tight lips when you ask them how they are doing with FSL. The smiles are the sort of smiles that make you take a few steps back if you know what I mean. <grin>
    I think part of that may be that the machines are being sold online-only, but the local guys end up getting all the stupid post-sale questions.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.