Page 82 of 118 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

I must mention that the rights to use the design were granted by the designer

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    OMG, you spent $5 in material and $120 in machine time to make something you could have bought at Hobby Lobby for $10?!? Not to mention infringing the priceless IP rights of whoever posted the design online...

(Just busting your chops, trying to get myself aligned with the prevailing sentiments here.)
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    $120 for an hour laser time. You guys live in a different world than I do.
    I do my best to get at least $100 for the CO2 laser if I'm cutting. I only got $75 the other day cutting a couple of sheets out that took about 50 minutes. Design furnished and material. Others get a LOT more.......
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

$120 for an hour laser time. You guys live in a different world than I do.
    It's hard to believe anyone could actually make a living at $120/hour... That's my starting point and it usually gets up to two or three times that much on most large volume jobs.

I shoot for $60 minimum, almost always ends up being more by default. Little old ladies and their grandkid's trophy plates, I'm lucky to get $15 an hour But those rare but occasional 400-600 per hour jobs even things out. (and because that may seem greedy, those kinds of rates are ALWAYS offered to me, I've never purposely calculated above $120...)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I see they are really going at it on their forum about not shipping the filters with the lasers. some are complaining that they bought into the idea of a unit and filter so they can cut inside their homes or office and not having to vent outside or they can not vent outside. Glowforge offered a 10% discount till 2018 but these people are saying that by the time they get everything the discount will be gone or only for a short period but the units that are able to cut get over a year of discounts. the Beta testers are all over saying that is to bad for you.

Would any of you vent indoors if your laser had a filter? I certainly wouldn't. I can't imagine it removing all smell or all potentially harmful gasses.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Would any of you vent indoors if your laser had a filter? I certainly wouldn't. I can't imagine it removing all smell or all potentially harmful gasses.

That depends on what you are lasering and what type of filter you have. I just bought a Fumex filter to run my anodized aluminum parts without any smell. It has a pre-filter, a charcoal filter and finally, a hepa filter. The three layers catch the big stuff (pre-filter), the smelly stuff (charcoal) and then the really fine stuff (hepa). I haven’t tried anything else with it but it should get virtually 100% of the smell or bad stuff.

Nope. But 99% of what I do is cut wood, MDF, and acrylic: no way a filter handles that without cleaning/replacement almost continuously.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I too cut plywood, MDF and acrylic all the time. I doubt anything will fully remove the smell of acrylic.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

I doubt anything will fully remove the smell of acrylic.
    Not to derail this marvelous thread, but my home made filter system scrubs acrylic very very well. You need coconut charcoal as the filter media. We cut a lot of acrylic and when you walk in the door, you can't smell any acrylic. When the charcoal starts getting loaded, you can smell it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Looks like the Glowforge system may be down as people are complaining that they can not log on or if they get on they can't send jobs to it. Great way to run a business if you can't do any work.

The question of the day, at least for me anyway even if you can't smell the nasty are the toxins still there? Vent outside even after filtering.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Probably there Bill, trapped in the system. But there. I won't comment on if they degrade, don't know what is produced.

Yep Jerome, Having to use their server is the MAIN issue if you ever get a GF! If they fold, NONE are worth anything.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Looks like the Glowforge system may be down as people are complaining that they can not log on or if they get on they can't send jobs to it. Great way to run a business if you can't do any work.
    If you are running a business with a Glowforge then you are destined to fail anyway, the server being down will just expedite the process...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    If you are running a business with a Glowforge then you are destined to fail anyway, the server being down will just expedite the process...
    Exactly. It's not a business machine. It can be a hard concept to grasp for the professional user that can only see ROI. I suppose it is possibly to have a small, side-hustle business to try to recoup the cost of the machine, or make some pocket money, but it wouldn't be my first or second choice to do that.