Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Who knew that it would make Chinese lasers look fast at rastering?
    I think you cracked the code! The Chinese laser manufacturers are actually behind Glowforge - their sales were slowing down and they needed something to make them look better and increase sales, enter Glowforge.

Blog Entries
    I saw a few weeks back that they were emailing notification to the buyers about shipping in near future. I'll take back the call of vapor ware now. But I think there will be a lot of unhappy folks very soon. Flat goods only, and I'll not say slow engraving, I'll say extremely excruciatingly slow engraving. 9 minutes? Wow. Maybe there wont be any fires after all!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Oh Gary, so cynical Did you watch the second video of the guy that makes things? You can clearly see the power of the machine. It knocked out a 3" x2" engraving in wood in an earth shattering 9 minutes! I'm not even sure if I could make any machine we own take that long if we tried..
    9 minutes?

A few days ago I made a video. I was going to post it up here, partly to show why I still swear by Casmate, and partly to toot my horn a bit -- but haven't yet... I start with a customer supplied color jpg graphic, which I ran thru Corel Paint to remove some colors, exported the result as a TIF file, changed computers, loaded up Casmate, imported the TIF to Casmate, vectorized it, exported the finished vector file as a DXF, changed computers again, imported the DXF into Corel, resized it to fit a 3 x 1-1/2" or so piece of white Rowmark, sent it to the LS900, engraved it, and then showed it to the camera... The entire video is exactly 5 minutes long. The reason I haven't posted it up is because I figure I can cut it down to closer to 4 minutes

I've got nothing against Glowforge, but I'm sure glad I'll never need one!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

All the "It's so hard to use conventional software/lasers" is just a red herring. With run times like 9 minutes on that small graphic, the only way all that technology is helpful is if you are doing 1. If I had to do 10 of them, that's 90 minutes. 90 minutes is about 70 minutes more than it would take most any other laser. Saving 70 minutes on a 10 piece job, would easily convince me to learn how to use "Autotrace" in Illustrator or Corel. Once you learn it, then you have that skill for all the jobs in the future. However, with the GF, you'll always have the painfully slow engraver. I can't believe that engraving took 9 minutes. That's like performance of a 10W laser.

They are still on track to do what I suspected. They'll come out, people like the "I make things" guy will say how awesome it is, they'll sell way more in the months to come than they did at the start up, they'll get great press (because that's all the press they ever seem to get, no matter what), then Amazon or some big player will buy them.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

And sneaked in the latest update is another delay, so rather than end of July it is now end of October
    You did what !

I've been hearing "glowing" reviews on the facebook groups. But I think it's more the "I finally got my new toy and it does something" feeling.

I am very curious to know how they don't require exhuast (other than a small fan apparently?) for anything. And how is the tube "cooled"? I can't imagine the technology matches the traditional US machines air cooling.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

All the "It's so hard to use conventional software/lasers" is just a red herring. ... Once you learn it, then you have that skill for all the jobs in the future.
    As I had it so painfully explained to me by one of the Faithful, "learn" is an obsolete concept that detracts from the "user experience" of the "core market".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    I've been hearing "glowing" reviews on the facebook groups. But I think it's more the "I finally got my new toy and it does something" feeling.

I am very curious to know how they don't require exhuast (other than a small fan apparently?) for anything. And how is the tube "cooled"? I can't imagine the technology matches the traditional US machines air cooling.
    Hey Keith,

I believe they have the standard 4" exhaust port to connect a blower or filter.

The Basic has "self contained internal cooling" and the Pro has "upgraded solid state thermoelectric cooling". Both have a run cycle.

9 mins to do a small engraving tells me theres very little cooling and the machine stops and waits till it cool enough to start engraving again. If its a 40 watt laser and had cooling it would do that raster in like 2 mins or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    And I don't know if you noticed (for you guys that watched that 'review'), it was roughly 5 minutes (at least as video flipped to next scene) to UPLOAD to their server! I'll make the assumption it downloads as it engraves.
    No, no fire, no exhaust, no cooling. it could be convection cooling of a simple water bath running that slow!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I have this acute visual in my head right now; the GF engineering team gathered 'round a laptop, reading the latest comments from the various engraver's forums, and upon reading the latest contributions from The Creek group, one of engineers stands up, crinkles his forehead, and says quietly...

Cooling?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I have this acute visual in my head right now; the GF engineering team gathered 'round a laptop, reading the latest comments from the various engraver's forums, and upon reading the latest contributions from The Creek group, one of engineers stands up, crinkles his forehead, and says quietly..

Cooling?
    Slams forehead with fist.... I knew we forgot something?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Slams forehead with fist.... I knew we forgot something?
    "cooling? We built in an overheating shutoff but I guess that cooling might have been a better idea..."

I can just about guarantee that they do read this Forum and CNC Zone.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    And sneaked in the latest update is another delay, so rather than end of July it is now end of October
    This is a great opportunity to add another "upgrade" ,,,,,,cooling ports and a chiller. With only a slight delay to the delivery schedule, but hey what's another 12 months at this point.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter