Page 68 of 118 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Not sure what your point is.
    If they're spending time/resources developing proprietary components when OTS units are readily available, something else will come up short.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It's my understanding that CE compliance is self-certified
    Not for potentially deadly electrical items it's not http://www.conformance.co.uk/
    You did what !

If they're spending time/resources developing proprietary components when OTS units are readily available, something else will come up short.
    YongLi are less than happy that they decided to use YL tubes matched to their own power supplies (the tubes are YongLi NOT RECI)
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Not for potentially deadly electrical items it's not http://www.conformance.co.uk/
    Which directive do lasers fall under in the UK?

Did you follow the Link Dave posted? Things are a little different in UK and Europe.

GF is re-inventing the wheel as it was pointed out, they have ignored basic co2 laser technology and parts already on the market. They could have learned a little about tube cooling and not have the issues with the 75 Deg F room requirement which a lot of new users are discovering for the first time.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    I noticed that he is a backer of a popular desktop water jet (manufactured in China - gasp!) on Kickstarter that uses (gasp!) the cloud to process cut files.
    The idea of a desktop waterjet (Wazer) was interesting to me until I noticed cloud processing. Build the hardware, put a FANUC controller in it, and call it done.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    The idea of a desktop waterjet (Wazer) was interesting to me until I noticed cloud processing. Build the hardware, put a FANUC controller in it, and call it done.
    ...or put an Arduino in it and call it done. X,Y motion control does not need the cloud.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

My favorite quote from Dan S on their October update....

"The product wasn’t wonderful yet, and so we spent tens of millions of dollars more on research, development, and production to make it wonderful for you before we started shipping."

"Tens of millions of dollars more on research, development, and production" ??????? Tens of millions would be at least 20 million, right? If that's what $20 million in R&D looks like, that's frightening.

Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Sounds like irresponsible spending. There is nothing truly groundbreaking about anything the GF does.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Did you follow the Link Dave posted? Things are a little different in UK and Europe.

GF is re-inventing the wheel as it was pointed out, they have ignored basic co2 laser technology and parts already on the market. They could have learned a little about tube cooling and not have the issues with the 75 Deg F room requirement which a lot of new users are discovering for the first time.
    Yes, I did.

...or put an Arduino in it and call it done. X,Y motion control does not need the cloud.
    I had a chance to talk to the developers of a popular motion-control Arduino shield at a conference. When it was mentioned that it would have only cost $1 to add WiFi to the card, the question arose: Why not just include it? Their answer was that it would have added millions of dollars to their production costs, since they were producing millions of units.

The go-to now seems to be, not only motion control in the cloud, but also for processing cut files. Would an Arduino be able/better for that? Side note: FSL has gone to the Beaglebone as a cloud pass-through for the Muse, I think.

thats just more DS BS

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    My favorite quote from Dan S on their October update....

"The product wasn’t wonderful yet, and so we spent tens of millions of dollars more on research, development, and production to make it wonderful for you before we started shipping."

"Tens of millions of dollars more on research, development, and production" ??????? Tens of millions would be at least 20 million, right? If that's what $20 million in R&D looks like, that's frightening.

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Yes I would be interested also. But not the "Cloud" and why not just off the shelf hardware and a kit? Yes I have used Arduino in a not very successful blue light laser project.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    ...There is nothing truly groundbreaking about anything the GF does.
    Except these 6 patents:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=inassignee:%22Glowforge+Inc.%22&hl=en&tbm =pts&lr=lang_en&cad=h

As I said, nothing groundbreaking.

Without a working internet connection the GF is a paperweight.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver