Page 81 of 118 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

I wish to thank all of the recent participants in this thread for their posts. I have been away for a few days and missed the discussion of the guy creating art with a Glowforge. This is about the funniest thing I have read since Glowforge claimed their laser cutter was a "3-D" machine.

Lee why are you pointing this at me, I wasn't diminishing the value of anything. I think it was a fine work of art. I was pointing out how Matt seems to twist everything we say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    On the other hand, if we're going to go out of our way to diminish the value of something simply because it was (partially) produced by a GF, we completely lose any credibility.

I'm wondering what our collective reaction would have been if that guy would have shown up here with: "Hi, first post here...just made this piece with my new Trotec/ULS/Epilog laser." I kind of doubt he would be met by a chorus of, "Dude, you're going to go broke making those things!"
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    A GF is not an engraving business machine, although it will engrave. It's not marketed as such and most of the projects on their website's front page are cut and assembled dimensional pieces. Remember, they even marketed it as a "3D Laser printer".
    Yep I remember that lie too - its neither 3D nor a printer so calling it an engraving business machine is no more inaccurate.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Lee why are you pointing this at me, I wasn't diminishing the value of anything. I think it was a fine work of art. I was pointing out how Matt seems to twist everything we say.
    Just pointing out that the "twisting" works both ways. The anti-GF bias seems to be spilling out past the machine/vendor onto the buyers/users.

(Note that I think the GF is a POS and its vendor is at best ethically-challenged.)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 10-21-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have been away for a few days and missed the discussion of the guy creating art with a Glowforge. This is about the funniest thing I have read since Glowforge claimed their laser cutter was a "3-D" machine.
    I have to ask: would you think it was funny if the guy had used a ULS, Trotec, or Epilog instead? Or, for that matter, a scrollsaw?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

I love how the people on the Glowforge forum say this is what I printed and show cutouts of stuff

yea right, hey we all know the GF IS NOT A 3D PRINTER, IT A cheap laser engraver oh hey 2000 bucks plus is not cheap either, its a cheap engraver, that costs a bundle if you can even get one.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 10-21-2017 at 5:31 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I remember when I first went to find out information about the GF and seeing the reference to 3D printing but then being confused when I could not find a 3D printer on their website.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

I'm pretty sure Kev wasn't referring to him as a new artist just that he was new here , I also think that if Kev or anyone else here lasered a piece of art and posted it on an artist forum they might refer to him as our NEW engraver friend. As I read through all this its becomes pretty clear that your bias and will defend the GF till your dying breath, and no matter what people say or what the facts are, your going to twist them to try and make it come out in your favor .
    Au contraire, I do my best to counter bias and help keep the cynics honest. I only defend against conjecture and falsities. You can post your opinion all day long, if you need to.

On the other hand, if we're going to go out of our way to diminish the value of something simply because it was (partially) produced by a GF, we completely lose any credibility.

I'm wondering what our collective reaction would have been if that guy would have shown up here with: "Hi, first post here...just made this piece with my new Trotec/ULS/Epilog laser." I kind of doubt he would be met by a chorus of, "Dude, you're going to go broke making those things!"
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morris View Post
    Yep I remember that lie too - its neither 3D nor a printer so calling it an engraving business machine is no more inaccurate.
    I agree -- partially.

Bert: "...if you can even get one."
    They're on day 20 (Basic) and 17 (Pro), if you needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Au contraire, I do my best to counter bias and help keep the cynics honest. I only defend against conjecture and falsities. You can post your opinion all day long, if you need to.

Truth

I agree -- partially.

They're on day 20 (Basic) and 17 (Pro), if you needed to know.
    yea from an order place over 700 days ago
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Yep and only 10 days left till they break more commitments.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I have to ask: would you think it was funny if the guy had used a ULS, Trotec, or Epilog instead? Or, for that matter, a scrollsaw?
    Yes! The funniest part is Kev's parody in which he describes painting his living room with a shovel. It is just another way of pointing out misleading claims from Glowforge and its supporters. If anyone described the brands you mentioned in a misleading way and someone else made fun of them in a humorous way, I would laugh at that too. Nobody participating in the thread is going to change his (or her) mind. What other purpose does it serve except for humor?

New Artist

Hi I am a new artist.
    I have used 4- 12"x12" pieces of 1/8" BB in this creation
    no design time,Wood Skeleton (Copy).jpgI found it on the web free.
    I guess maybe an hour to cut it out, hell I didn't really keep track
    I did NOT use a Glowforge in the production of this masterpiece
    Its proudly displayed in the Front Door art gallery across the street (neighbors house)
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi I am a new artist.
    I have used 4- 12"x12" pieces of 1/8" BB in this creation
    no design time,
    I found it on the web free.
    I guess maybe an hour to cut it out, hell I didn't really keep track
    I did NOT use a Glowforge in the production of this masterpiece
    Its proudly displayed in the Front Door art gallery across the street (neighbors house)
    OMG, you spent $5 in material and $120 in machine time to make something you could have bought at Hobby Lobby for $10?!? Not to mention infringing the priceless IP rights of whoever posted the design online...

(Just busting your chops, trying to get myself aligned with the prevailing sentiments here.)

$120 for an hour laser time. You guys live in a different world than I do.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver