Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38788485868788
Results 1,306 to 1,319 of 1319

Thread: Glowforge release

  1. #1306
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Locking and removing unwanted Threads make it look like Everyone is Happy!! I suppose someone will start a Forum like the other not popular co2 engraving machine had, where un-happy owners could go to complain. I swear Matt is being paid to act as a GF advocate on this Board.


    Theres really nothing Matt could say that would convince anyone with any knowlage of laser engraver / cutters, that the GF is anything but a cheap poorly designed laser engraver with a lot of problems. We all knew this 2 or more years ago when the GF first came to light here and we all discussed all the pitfalls of the GF. Nothing the forum members said could convince Matt that the machine is not what its all cracked up to be, and he will defend it till the end. Which doesn't look to be to far in the future. It took a little over 2 years for the GF to get out to the public and I'd be willing to bet that it will be less then that before its just a memory, like a few others that tried and failed.JMHO
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

    10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander


  2. #1307
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ankeny Iowa USA
    Posts
    2,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    I don't agree with that and don't see it to be true. It's also why I sorted by views, which can't be locked. See previous post. Also, GF doesn't have admin of the FB group where the general consensus seems to be that they are happy with their purchase and enjoy making cool things.

    GF just moved the counter to indicate that they are shipping day 30 of the the 30-day campaign Pro units, which were the most popular. Posts have indicated that the ship dates for some have moved up, in the right direction.



    Good point.



    Well, of course, you have no proof of this and I don't even recall an owner claiming that a thread has been removed or censored. This is a provacative tin-foil hat theory that you just make up. No matter how many times you repeat that, it will not make it true, only repeatedly wrong. You have no interest in being correct, only right.

    If you have a beef with GF's marketing hype or name, but OK with creating falsities, you might need to consider the hypocrisy.
    Really Matt you have NO financial ties or otherwise to GlowForge, really? What if a little online research proved otherwise?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , Ray Fine 20w Galvo Fiber laser , LightObject 40w CO2. MakerGear M2 3D Printer. Qe60+ Vinyl cutter.

  3. #1308
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    439
    Wow, the amount of bias, accusation and jumps to conclusions on this thread is amazing! I'm no GF fan but all Matt has done is to question all the opinion and rhetoric that has run rampant and held people accountable for their accusations. Some valid points have been made by the more experienced users but before rendering your judgments of doom upon all those ignorant masses who drank the coolade maybe we could give it a bit more time to see how it all plays out before the "I told you so's" point the finger? Just my opinion.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.


  4. #1309
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    3,127
    I believe that Matt's opinions are shaped by a combination of admiration for the company hype and a general lack of knowledge of the subject matter. However, I have never suspected he is a plant. If he were, he would sound more like he knows what he is talking about. For example, he claims that the laser does not have a control board. For anyone who understands internet communication and motion control, that claim is as ridiculous as calling the thing a 3-D machine.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 11-15-2017 at 10:24 PM.

  5. #1310
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    [/COLOR][/SIZE] and he will defend it till the end. Which doesn't look to be to far in the future. It took a little over 2 years for the GF to get out to the public and I'd be willing to bet that it will be less then that before its just a memory, like a few others that tried and failed.JMHO
    My guess is they are only at the beginning, not the end. I suspected they would build a company and sell it for 100's of millions and I still believe that is what will happen down the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I believe that Matt's opinions are shapedd by a combination of admiration for the company hype and a general lack of knowledge of the subject matter. However, I have never suspected he is a plant. If he were, he would sound more like he knows what he is talking about.
    Matt has many years of laser engraving experience and dealing with technology. I don't believe he has a lack of knowledge about any of it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Universal PLS4.60 with Rotary Attachment
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer,
    Ricoh Dye Sublimation Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

    Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

  6. #1311
    I have to say, this thread is hilarious to me. It boils down to this:

    -Someone says Glowforge is lacking in some feature

    -Good discussion on technical issues with feature implementation and misleading marketing

    -Someone else says Glowforge is made out of the blood of orphans

    -Matt says "Nah it's not made from orphan blood"

    -20 posts "LOL MATT IS SUCH A SHILL"

    -Matt stays objective, along with a handful of other folks (Dave, Scott, and a few others- I apologize for not remembering specific usernames but several of you are being very civil, good on all of you)

    Guys, remember that the GF isn't a literal Nazi artifact that's trying to steal your soul through the internet. It's an overpriced machine with some real issues, and people should be better educated about their purchase. Glowforge should be more open about what they're doing.

    But the big thing to remember is that most people here are mad that Glowforge misled people into getting their machine- that does NOT make it OK to lie about Glowforge in return. It just makes you look hypocritical at best, and foolish at worst. Stay objective and let facts speak for themselves. If you have evidence of Glowforge censoring posts or doing something nefarious, post evidence. If you are just speculating, then you're doing the SAME THING you're angry at GF for doing- spreading misinformation to try to prove your point.

    I certainly don't own a GF nor would I, but the fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people happy with their purchases. Could they have a better machine for less money? Of course they could. But you know what, they're happy about it, so at least be happy for people having access to something they never did before and creating things they never could before. Whether or not they got duped shouldn't mean you can yell at them and try to make them feel bad for no reason other than to be a big guy on the internet.

    Let's be nice to each other, not jerks. We're better than insults and better than lying to prove a point.
    Last edited by Bert McMahan; 11-15-2017 at 1:47 PM.

  7. #1312
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ankeny Iowa USA
    Posts
    2,409
    If Glow Forge has nothing to fear or hide, why are posts deleted or not allowed that could inform prospective buyers of issues? From above post "people should be better educated about their purchase"
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , Ray Fine 20w Galvo Fiber laser , LightObject 40w CO2. MakerGear M2 3D Printer. Qe60+ Vinyl cutter.

  8. #1313
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    If Glow Forge has nothing to fear or hide, why are posts deleted or not allowed that could inform prospective buyers of issues? From above post "people should be better educated about their purchase"
    Bill, if there is evidence or claims of Glowforge deleting posts, please link to that evidence or provide someone claiming their posts were deleted. Right now it's just people in this thread saying "posts were deleted" but none of the people saying "posts were deleted" are saying "MY posts were deleted", which just sounds like a rumor. I'm ready to believe it's true, but not until someone posts either proof it's happening or someone claiming it's happened to them. If proof has already been provided please let me know- I've tried to follow the thread but it's 88 pages long, and I could have missed something. Until I see more information I'll assume it's just a rumor (innocent until proven guilty and all). I'm happy to be proven wrong- I have no skin in this fight.

    If you're referring to GF's practice of locking threads, it's explained by Scott on page 87:

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    In all fairness to GF, that's the method they use for one leg of their support. You can email them OR post it in the support section. If you post it in the support section, they lock it when it's been logged into their support system. It's not locked because they don't want people posting, it's because it's how they setup the support forum. Post, when we see it, we'll acknowledge it by locking it. Makes it look like they just lock anything with a problem, but that's not the case at all.
    Last edited by Bert McMahan; 11-15-2017 at 2:51 PM.

  9. #1314
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ankeny Iowa USA
    Posts
    2,409
    Frankly Bert I do not know anyone here who owns a GF, do you? If your not an owner or have one on order you can not post on the GF board. The comments made about deleted posts were made and talked about here in the past, do some reading. Do you know of an Forum other than here where concerns are allowed to be expressed about Glow Forge? Members here have a working knowledge of laser engravers what they can do or not do. The design team at GF appears to have none or very little. Who would you trust?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , Ray Fine 20w Galvo Fiber laser , LightObject 40w CO2. MakerGear M2 3D Printer. Qe60+ Vinyl cutter.

  10. #1315
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that they are not allowing anyone to complain. Go into their "Everything Else" section and look at the "October Update" thread. It's 1,100 posts long and full of quite upset people. Some call GF scammers, some say they are con artists, etc. There is some brutal stuff on there. You'll have to go probably into the 700-800 post count range to see where things take a serious turn for the worse. People flat out call out GF and they don't hold anything back. While I do agree that they are very image conscious, I was pretty shocked to see that threads contents. They just locked it because it was named "October Update" and it's November now, so the reasoning is listed, but it's worth reading through if you are curious.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Universal PLS4.60 with Rotary Attachment
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer,
    Ricoh Dye Sublimation Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

    Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

  11. #1316
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Frankly Bert I do not know anyone here who owns a GF, do you? [...] The comments made about deleted posts were made and talked about here in the past, do some reading.
    I don't know anyone with one Bill, but you can read on their forums without an account. I wish I knew someone who'd tried one in person. Like I said, I saw rumors about deleted posts, but again it all seems like hearsay to me. Not actual evidence. I don't think anyone with a GF is posting here, at least not openly.

    Do you know of an Forum other than here where concerns are allowed to be expressed about Glow Forge?
    Yeah, the Glowforge forums have tons of angry people (see Scott's post just above mine). It doesn't seem like they're deleting threads, just locking the ones that have been sent to tech support as I already mentioned. There are also tons of threads in a few different places on reddit.

    Members here have a working knowledge of laser engravers what they can do or not do. The design team at GF appears to have none or very little. Who would you trust?
    Again, I'm not saying to trust them. I'm simply saying that this thread is about 50% legitimate discussion, and 50% rumors and attacks on Matt. I'm not advocating for or against Glowforge nor Matt- I'm trying to encourage fact-based, civil discussions. Your last post implies that you can't post negatively about the Glowforge on their forums, which is absolutely false. That does not make for a good discussion.

    I'm trying to separate the factual issues about their sub-par software and hardware from the generic angry posts. Please do know I'm not trying to call you specifically out as being angry or intentionally misleading, I'm just trying to suggest everyone stays civil, and speaks from a basis of facts. Your note that members here have much more experience doing things with lasers is certainly true, and is a point worth remembering.

  12. #1317
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ankeny Iowa USA
    Posts
    2,409
    Yeah, the Glowforge forums have tons of angry people (see Scott's post just above mine). It doesn't seem like they're deleting threads, just locking the ones that have been sent to tech support as I already mentioned. There are also tons of threads in a few different places on reddit.

    Ok, Scott and Bert I admit I never saw that section on the GF web forum so I stand corrected on that one point.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , Ray Fine 20w Galvo Fiber laser , LightObject 40w CO2. MakerGear M2 3D Printer. Qe60+ Vinyl cutter.

  13. #1318
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Matt has many years of laser engraving experience and dealing with technology. I don't believe he has a lack of knowledge about any of it.
    He may have a lifetime of experience with laser engraving but he has no knowledge of digital controls or how the internet works. Just go back and read his exchanges with Lee.

  14. #1319
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    He may have a lifetime of experience with laser engraving but he has no knowledge of digital controls or how the internet works. Just go back and read his exchanges with Lee.
    Feel free to set the record straight and point out anything I have posted that is incorrect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •