Page 80 of 118 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    And remember that Glowforge does not import DXF's
    What is the process to import DXF into RD?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    What is the process to import DXF into RD?

Click on "import".
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    Click on "import".
    What CAD software are you using to create DXF?

Turbocad. All my items are drawn in that.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    Turbocad. All my items are drawn in that.
    Can you send as EPS, PDF, or SVG?

This assumes he's a new artist and that he's using engraving business machinery. Neither is necessarily true, since he mentions making laser-cut art pieces before and a laser can be used for other things besides making name tags. The latter gets lost here in an engraver's forum.
    Matt and I agree on something...I'm not really sure how I feel about that. (Just kidding.)

Pop quiz: who besides me remembers that this forum was originally called "Laser Woodworking"?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

just to continue splitting hairs --

I don't assume this guy is a "new" artist, but he is a new to ME-and-this-forum artist. And exactly what does it matter if he's a 'new' or 'established' artist anyway? That has nothing to do with the simple fact he spent 161 hours designing and assembling THIS particular work of art using pieces fabricated by a Glowforge...

And this '...assumes he's using engraving business machinery'... He used a Glowforge, which is engraving business machinery, yes? Wait, it's not? Oh, okay-- So then, if I spend 161 hours painting my living room wall with a shovel, then the shovel is actually a paintbrush, and I only assumed it was a shovel...

And while Trent Reznor's dad probably didn't like his music, in 1989 it was pretty tough for anyone duplicate it... It also helps that he's an actual musician

This has been fun, but I shall now divorce myself from the artist/machinery debate, and let the regularly scheduled GF bashing resume
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Can you send as EPS, PDF, or SVG?
    DXF is the standard for many Cad Cam programs and also for my CNC router I can do one drawing and save as a DXF and go to it and cut it on my router or laser. I use Autocad and Vectric Aspire to draw in and I cut for 2 trade show companies and 5 sign companies that send me DXF files as they come through without extra poly lines

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Matt and I agree on something...I'm not really sure how I feel about that. (Just kidding.)

Pop quiz: who besides me remembers that this forum was originally called "Laser Woodworking"?
    Oh, I knew you were reasonable and would eventually come around.

Laser Woodworking is a pretty amazing name for a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    just to continue splitting hairs --

I don't assume this guy is a "new" artist, but he is a new to ME-and-this-forum artist. And exactly what does it matter if he's a 'new' or 'established' artist anyway? That has nothing to do with the simple fact he spent 161 hours designing and assembling THIS particular work of art using pieces fabricated by a Glowforge...
    Sure -- that's fine. I don't know if someone, reading SMC for the first time, could refer to you as a new engraver, since they just now became aware of you.

You remarked that: "What is fairly alien to me with lasers is all this cutting everyone does." I was passing along something cool, if you were interested. BTW, he spent 26 hours cutting out of the 161 mentioned. I would guess this is probably his total effort, not actual cutting time.

And this '...assumes he's using engraving business machinery'... He used a Glowforge, which is engraving business machinery, yes? Wait, it's not? Oh, okay-- So then, if I spend 161 hours painting my living room wall with a shovel, then the shovel is actually a paintbrush, and I only assumed it was a shovel...
    A GF is not an engraving business machine, although it will engrave. It's not marketed as such and most of the projects on their website's front page are cut and assembled dimensional pieces. Remember, they even marketed it as a "3D Laser printer".

And while Trent Reznor's dad probably didn't like his music, in 1989 it was pretty tough for anyone duplicate it... It also helps that he's an actual musician
    Trent still makes music, he's not stuck in 1989. He did the score for the excellent and recent Ken Burns documentary "The Vietnam War". It does help to be a musician, if you want to make music. Probably more of a reason to dissuade your son from pursuing a career in it, as opposed to "who's going to pay you to listen to this music when they can make it themselves on their computer?" I'm sure you would agree that a machine does not necessarily make someone an engraver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    DXF is the standard for many Cad Cam programs and also for my CNC router I can do one drawing and save as a DXF and go to it and cut it on my router or laser. I use Autocad and Vectric Aspire to draw in and I cut for 2 trade show companies and 5 sign companies that send me DXF files as they come through without extra poly lines
    Sure, I understand -- thanks. The formats I mentioned will work fine in most laser applications. Corel Draw is probably the sign/engraving standard. Not sure if DXF is native to CD.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 10-20-2017 at 3:54 PM.

Sure, I understand -- thanks. The formats I mentioned will work fine in most laser applications. Corel Draw is probably the sign/engraving standard. Not sure if DXF is native to CD.
    CD will export to DXF, but how much the results resemble the original is probabilistic. As I learned from someone here and confirmed many times when I had my CNC router, EPS exported from CD imports much better to most CAD/CAM software (including the Vectric apps) than DXF exported from CD does.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 10-20-2017 at 4:20 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Yeah, that subforum is what sucked me into SMC originally. Turned out I could count on my thumbs the number of people actually using their laser as a woodworking tool, unless you count engraving wooden signs. So it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Yeah, that subforum is what sucked me into SMC originally. Turned out I could count on my thumbs the number of people actually using their laser as a woodworking tool, unless you count engraving wooden signs. So it goes.
    Cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Chinese machines generally cut at about the same speed as comparable RF machines, which pull away with engraving. Is that correct?
    Not completely correct Matt, a 120 watt Chinese will cut like a 60 to 80 watt RF, RF has a much better beam profile and beam mode as a rule. A 150 watt RF will out perform pretty much all the economical DC lasers (sub 260 watt)
    You did what !

I'm pretty sure Kev wasn't referring to him as a new artist just that he was new here , I also think that if Kev or anyone else here lasered a piece of art and posted it on an artist forum they might refer to him as our NEW engraver friend. As I read through all this its becomes pretty clear that your bias and will defend the GF till your dying breath, and no matter what people say or what the facts are, your going to twist them to try and make it come out in your favor .

Oh, I knew you were reasonable and would eventually come around.

Sure -- that's fine. I don't know if someone, reading SMC for the first time, could refer to you as a new engraver, since they just now became aware of you.

You remarked that: "What is fairly alien to me with lasers is all this cutting everyone does." I was passing along something cool, if you were interested. BTW, he spent 26 hours cutting out of the 161 mentioned. I would guess this is probably his total effort, not actual cutting time.

A GF is not an engraving business machine, although it will engrave. It's not marketed as such and most of the projects on their website's front page are cut and assembled dimensional pieces. Remember, they even marketed it as a "3D Laser printer".

Trent still makes music, he's not stuck in 1989. He did the score for the excellent and recent Ken Burns documentary "The Vietnam War". It does help to be a musician, if you want to make music. Probably more of a reason to dissuade your son from pursuing a career in it, as opposed to "who's going to pay you to listen to this music when they can make it themselves on their computer?" I'm sure you would agree that a machine does not necessarily make someone an engraver.

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    As I read through all this its becomes pretty clear that your bias and will defend the GF till your dying breath, and no matter what people say or what the facts are, your going to twist them to try and make it come out in your favor .
    On the other hand, if we're going to go out of our way to diminish the value of something simply because it was (partially) produced by a GF, we completely lose any credibility.

I'm wondering what our collective reaction would have been if that guy would have shown up here with: "Hi, first post here...just made this piece with my new Trotec/ULS/Epilog laser." I kind of doubt he would be met by a chorus of, "Dude, you're going to go broke making those things!"