Page 89 of 118 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    Yep true that

Ahh ok, haven't been following the glowforge scene so wasn't sure.
    With all the trouble with the camera alignment and sizing who would want to copy this.
    I saw a picture of one of their engravings that needed 4 files put together to form it as to to small of a buffer and you can see each section.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 11-27-2017 at 8:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry3424 View Post
    FWIW, someone posted some Glowforge hardware info on GitHub:

https://github.com/ScottW514/GF-Hard...dware-Overview

GF's storied legal team is probably not too happy with that, assuming that they actually exist.
    hahahahahhahaha looks like that will get ripped pretty quickly
    You did what !

3. It looks like GF uses 2 steppers to move the Y-axis. Is that common on any level of laser? Seems like most use a single stepper and belt(s) to move both sides of the gantry on Y, but I'm pretty green.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry3424 View Post
    It looks like GF uses 2 steppers to move the Y-axis. Is that common on any level of laser? Seems like most use a single stepper and belt(s) to move both sides of the gantry on Y, but I'm pretty green.
    My ULS uses one stepper for Y, located in the center of the back wall, belts to both sides. Then again, it's smallish machine with a fixed-tube layout: the RF tube assembly weighs about 35lbs, so you really don't want to move it around. If the GF's tube moves in Y, the gantry is heavier and two motors makes sense. (I've seen several CNC routers laid out that way.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

DS andstaff
    I wanted to give avid forum readers the very first heads up: we’re going to be increasing prices on Dec 14 to $4,000 for Basic and $8,000 for Pro. We’ll also be removing the ability to upgrade your order, so if you want to go from basic to pro, now is the last chance. You can do so at glowforge.com/upgrades13.

We do have a serious set of bugs that prevents some upgrades from processing, so if glowforge.com/upgrades13 gives you an error, contact support@glowforge.com and we’ll process it manually. (This is slower and not recommended if you can use the glowforge.com/upgrades13
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    DS andstaff
    I wanted to give avid forum readers the very first heads up: we’re going to be increasing prices on Dec 14 to $4,000 for Basic and $8,000 for Pro. We’ll also be removing the ability to upgrade your order, so if you want to go from basic to pro, now is the last chance. You can do so at glowforge.com/upgrades13.

We do have a serious set of bugs that prevents some upgrades from processing, so if glowforge.com/upgrades13 gives you an error, contact support@glowforge.com and we’ll process it manually. (This is slower and not recommended if you can use the glowforge.com/upgrades13
    OMG and after looking at the way the GF is put together it would almost be impossible to upgrade the tube or switch it all over to readily available off the shelf parts. Once you buy your stuck with it forever, and Zero resale value. Maybe I have missed something.... where does the 3D capability's come into the picture?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

$4000 is about what I paid for my latest purchase - a LG900N with at 100W RECI tube. That includes cost to ship from China to Faroe Islands which is about as expensive as it gets. Just one order paid for 2/3 of the machine. It will run all day without the need for the tube to cool down every now and again. It doesn't have a camera system, it will not fit on my kitchen table, it doesn't do processing in the cloud but I can manage without those "features".

I'm sure there are still people who will buy it at that price point but I can't help feel it is very poor value for money. Sinjoe have recently launched a couple of desktop models that could be an alternative to a GF.

https://store.sinjoe.com/index.php?r...ory&path=86_73
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

A informed intelligent buyer by now would have bailed out. So who is left? Not hard to figure out.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

not only that but reading the forum the complaints about how slow it is and the cloud not working sometimes are starting to pile up
    and 8000 for a pro now your getting close to westerns machine prices , well very good Chinese machine prices anyway
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    not only that but reading the forum the complaints about how slow it is and the cloud not working sometimes are starting to pile up
    and 8000 for a pro now your getting close to westerns machine prices , well very good Chinese machine prices anyway
    The small epilog is about $8k isn't it? and that's an RF

$8k will buy

2500mm x 1500mm Chinese flatbed with a 100 watt tube

or

3 x 300mm x 300mm DC tubed Chinese Glavos

or

2 x 20 watt Chinese Fibres

$8k for a pro...is a bad joke
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Bill has it. I've got about $6500 in my 1300x900 80w machine with it delivered to my door. (11 months ago) That is duty, broker fees and shipping to nearly center of country.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    $8k will buy

(snip)

3 x 300mm x 300mm DC tubed Chinese Glavos

(snip)

Dave do you mean a CO2 galvo? I didn't think the DC tubes could work well in a galvo setup. I've been looking for a cheap CO2 galvo to do small engravings on wood- is that the type of machine you're talking about? If so what are they called? My google-fu must have failed me, as I only found very expensive ones the last time I looked. I don't have enough "business case" to justify much expense (I'm a hobbyist), but at $2600 for a new toy to get my feet wet, well now we're talking.

Searching for "galvo laser" gets me all the Fiber lasers, which obviously don't do the woodworking stuff that I have in mind. Any tips on a vendor for such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Dave do you mean a CO2 galvo? I didn't think the DC tubes could work well in a galvo setup. I've been looking for a cheap CO2 galvo to do small engravings on wood- is that the type of machine you're talking about? If so what are they called? My google-fu must have failed me, as I only found very expensive ones the last time I looked. I don't have enough "business case" to justify much expense (I'm a hobbyist), but at $2600 for a new toy to get my feet wet, well now we're talking.

Searching for "galvo laser" gets me all the Fiber lasers, which obviously don't do the woodworking stuff that I have in mind. Any tips on a vendor for such a thing?
    Yea, Sinjoe do them, Weike do them as do Shenhui, they work well

Drop Felix a line at Sinjoe and ask, most of them, run 60 watt CL1200 EFR tubes so are pretty reliable as well.

CO2 Galvo will usually bring up RF machines, those are pretty expensive the only drawback with DC Galvo's is the tube life, due to the tube being triggered so much and so often the tube life is often a year to 18 months at best but with cheap replacements well worth it

Rise times on DC tubes are slower, that's why they have a max setting of 9,000mm per second rather than the 15,000 mm per second of an RF (even though you will rarely ever get close to either of those numbers on a small tube under 200 watts)
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Bill has it. I've got about $6500 in my 1300x900 80w machine with it delivered to my door. (11 months ago) That is duty, broker fees and shipping to nearly center of country.
    But is it a 3-D laser cutter? No, I didn't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    But is it a 3-D laser cutter? No, I didn't think so...
    As I have duel nationality I was wondering if congress could strike up a new felony offence on my behalf

When people say "I did my first print on my glowforge today" there must be some kind of law enacted that automatically slaps them with a rotten fish.........lots
    You did what !