Page 63 of 118 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Just when I thought nothing could be slower than watching a Corel training video...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Have GF paid people to join various forums and groups to say nice things? I get almost a religious cult vibe from how some people speak about it. It's probably a nice enough hobby machine but I don't see anything earth-shattering revolutionary about it.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Soooo Slooooow

I'm pretty sure I could draw that by hand, scan it, then trace it engrave it and cut it out in under 10 mins
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Scan, save as bitmap. RDWorks can find the outline. Can probably be done in 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    Have GF paid people to join various forums and groups to say nice things? I get almost a religious cult vibe from how some people speak about it. It's probably a nice enough hobby machine but I don't see anything earth-shattering revolutionary about it.
    It's called Cognitive dissonance
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    It's called Cognitive dissonance
    That's the term! I remember that came up when we were invaded by animal rights activists a couple of years ago. They firmly believed every lie they had been told in advance.

Saw a guy today on a laser group on Facebook shilling like I've never seen, bashing the K40 as garbage, but championing the GF as revolutionary. When asked why it was so slow, he said it was because the GF has so much tech built into it, that it slows the machine down, but that GF is releasing software updates that will make it fast.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

That was me asking

That was me asking
    Haha so it was. I didn't want to call the guy out, that was an answer straight out of a salesmans 101 course. Were you satisfied with that answer? And I'm not bashing the GF at all, but it's obvious that he's biased from his defense of it.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

I am surprised how few Glowforge videos are up on Youtube. Everyone and their brother usually post videos when they are the first to receive a much anticipated new gadget. I just did a search on Glowforge, then set the filter to date in order to get the latest uploads. Relatively few.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Haha so it was. I didn't want to call the guy out, that was an answer straight out of a salesmans 101 course. Were you satisfied with that answer? And I'm not bashing the GF at all, but it's obvious that he's biased from his defense of it.
    It seems everything can be fixed in the software on the GF. He claimed it has dynamic focus adjustment. Interesting.

It amuses me so many GF fans insist it will be much more durable than Chinese machines. It hasn't been out in the wild long enough for anyone to really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    I am surprised how few Glowforge videos are up on Youtube. Everyone and their brother usually post videos when they are the first to receive a much anticipated new gadget. I just did a search on Glowforge, then set the filter to date in order to get the latest uploads. Relatively few.
    That's where my comment about "it won't be there long" came from. I've seen a number of them, but they seem to vanish off there pretty quickly. I've heard rumors on why they are removed, but they are just rumors to me, so I won't mention the reasons I've heard.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It amuses me so many GF fans insist it will be much more durable than Chinese machines.
    Will that be measured in hours of run-time or square-inches of engraving?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It's where the term CD fits perfectly, anything that contradicts the closed world view of investing $2000+ in something that doesn't appear for 2 years has to be defended in the mind of the defender.

CD causes those folks to see anything negative as an attack on THEM rather than commentary on the subject hence act accordingly.

It actually concerns me that so many people can so easily be taken in with a few keywords and pretty thin promises when anybody with more than 6 months experience can see many of the claims don't stack up.
    You did what !

I really think that within say 2 more years they will have a marketable item. I also think that as more are shipped more people are going to be bailing out. It has got to be one of the more elaborate schemes I have seen with all the cover ups and paid reviews.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10