Page 59 of 118 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    How long are tubes going to last running at 75 degree's
    narrow body are ok to 25 degrees C, widebodies start to lose life at 23 upwards
    You did what !

Reading temperature is an easy thing to do so the process of pausing must be the issue. I guess the machine didn't pause for internet connection problems either. Otherwise it would be a simple over temp condition that triggered the existing pause function.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

3. Has anyone used the Glow Forge? Anything to compare it to?

I'm seeing a lot of negatives for anyone wanting to purchase this machine. Has anyone used the glow forge yet and can comment on their use?

Otherwise, are there any comparable out there for ease of use? We are looking at laser engraving thru silicone wristbands, and were wondering what options for machines there were out there, and are currently weighing up the Glow Forge pro. Thanks.

I would think you would need a rotary to do wrist bans and don't think the glowforge has enough Z depth for a rotary. Also engraving silicone with a laser won't do much more then melt the rubber.It won't give it that engraved burned look I think some sort of color fill might be needed.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I would think you would need a rotary to do wrist bans and don't think the glowforge has enough Z depth for a rotary. Also engraving silicone with a laser won't do much more then melt the rubber.It won't give it that engraved burned look I think some sort of color fill might be needed.
    No rotary done. They are stretched over a jig that's flat and done by the 100's at a time. Glowforge would not be a good fit for that. You can buy those things cheap, so you need something that's reasonable fast to make you competitive. GF can't be considered reasonably fast by any measure.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

GF isn't even close to a commercial use machine....it will break very quickly if you use it commercially for high volume stuff
    You did what !

Silicone engraves surprisingly well. Different colors require different settings for some reason, and all the smoke & ash and noise is surprising at first, but it works! Doesn't change color or anything, looks like it was injection molded when done... (trying to locate a pic)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I'll make mention again, that most of these GF items are taking HOURS to accomplish. Even a MINUTE for a silicone band is way too much time as you can buy them pre engraved for less than that.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Ahhhh.....the wonderful world of consumer electronics.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vew9iu86gVY

And on a different note, what's with the smoke rushing towards the front of the machine, then having to turn and go out the back of the machine? That's a bit odd (and unwanted). Look how fast the smoke is moving to the front of the machine. Anyone else see that as odd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXSo_-7FADE
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

and so it begins
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Ahhhh.....the wonderful world of consumer electronics.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vew9iu86gVY

And on a different note, what's with the smoke rushing towards the front of the machine, then having to turn and go out the back of the machine? That's a bit odd (and unwanted). Look how fast the smoke is moving to the front of the machine. Anyone else see that as odd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXSo_-7FADE
    It is probably not as "pretty" a solution to have the air assist blowing from front to back assuming it is a tube similar to an Epilog. Design before function if that's the case.

I don't understand your comment. Air assist blows thru the cone and down onto the project. The exhausts should suck from the rear of the machine and not draw smoke to the front of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    It is probably not as "pretty" a solution to have the air assist blowing from front to back assuming it is a tube similar to an Epilog. Design before function if that's the case.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I don't understand your comment. Air assist blows thru the cone and down onto the project. The exhausts should suck from the rear of the machine and not draw smoke to the front of the machine.
    Epilogs, at least my Mini, do not use cones for air assist. They use tubes that are off to the side of the beam and blow air at an angle across the beam. Epilogs position the tube so it blows from front to back. the path of smoke blowing backwards is clearly visible. Position the tube so it blows from back to front and it would look like what we see in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    Epilogs, at least my Mini, do not use cones for air assist. They use tubes that are off to the side of the beam and blow air at an angle across the beam. Epilogs position the tube so it blows from front to back. the path of smoke blowing backwards is clearly visible. Position the tube so it blows from back to front and it would look like what we see in the video.
    That's what it looks like to me too.

That's a great way to make your optics covered in debris quickly. Sealed or not sealed, there has to be something that it's going to gunk up quickly. You can see how it blows the smoke forward, then the smoke comes up and heads back. That's going to be a problem.