Page 75 of 118 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Of course I believe that. But you're only using one of those workstations at a time. If there's another person on one of the other workstations, you have to coordinate the use of the laser manually: the network won't do it for you. See the example Kev gave: if he and his BIL both try to run a job on the GCC at the same time, it probably won't turn out the way they expect.
    We already have a proof-of-concept. Been there, done that, it works!

I'm not bloody stupid you know...
    Well...

I'm just kidding.

I see on their form that Glowforge can not ship to a least 20 countries so they are sending out emails saying that the person will be getting a refund after a 2 year wait. Very good business concept this from a company that calls a laser engraver/cutter a 3 d printer. why did it take this long to realize that you need to be approved to ship over seas

Great way to get an interest free loan.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    Great way to get an interest free loan.
    And it looks good on the balance sheet when selling other investors.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    e5c70bfd07a48b003c496fb5b2df0294fa527fe3.pngFound on the gf site...... Speaks to the general mood.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I see on their form that Glowforge can not ship to a least 20 countries
    It's because lasers are dual use for export purposes.

Remember when I said GF didn't employ anybody that knows anything about lasers ?
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    A print driver allows a user to "print" almost any file format, within almost any program directly (.AI, .CDR, .PDF, .EPS, .SVG, .DOC, .XLS, etc.). It doesn't necessarily need to be CAD software. Hit the print button from your software and the laser will begin, like a paper printer. No need to convert or transfer files, set-up, etc. A user can just work directly from whatever software they are most familiar or efficient with.
    The Glowforge marketing team would be proud of your wordsmithing!
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    The Glowforge marketing team would be proud of your wordsmithing!
    Oh, thanks. I noticed you have an Epilog. Here's what their wordsmith marketing says. I noted the good parts that you'll probably need to discuss with them. Ask them if their driver will allow you to engrave/cut directly from a screen saver file.

Epilog:

"You can engrave scanned photos, logos, bitmaps, other images, text, and AutoCAD files. *Essentially, if you can print it, you can engrave it.*"

"Attached to your computer just like a printer, the system will cut designs you create in *most graphic software programs.*"

"Our laser systems work through a print driver, so you can design your files in many different graphic software packages including CorelDraw, Illustrator, Photoshop, AutoCAD, *and much more.* CorelDraw is the most commonly used software, but the laser *works with many different packages.*"

Here's Universal's:

"Virtually any design file format can be used."

Trotec:

"As easy to use as an office printer. Using its vectorizing function, you can send the files from your usual graphics program directly to the laser machine for marking. No intermediate step is required and work preparation is reduced to a minimum. "

That's probably enough about print drivers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I see on their form that Glowforge can not ship to a least 20 countries so they are sending out emails saying that the person will be getting a refund after a 2 year wait. Very good business concept this from a company that calls a laser engraver/cutter a 3 d printer. why did it take this long to realize that you need to be approved to ship over seas
    Here's the 20, if curious:

Angola
    Argentina
    Barbados
    Brazil
    Cambodia
    Chile
    China
    Colombia
    India
    Indonesia
    Kenya
    Malaysia
    Mauritius
    Nigeria
    Peru
    Philippines
    Russian Federation
    South Africa
    Sri Lanka
    Ukraine

Oh, thanks. I noticed you have an Epilog. Here's what their wordsmith marketing says. I noted the good parts that you'll probably need to discuss with them. Ask them if their driver will allow you to engrave/cut directly from a screen saver file.

Epilog:

"You can engrave scanned photos, logos, bitmaps, other images, text, and AutoCAD files. *Essentially, if you can print it, you can engrave it.*"

"Attached to your computer just like a printer, the system will cut designs you create in *most graphic software programs.*"

"Our laser systems work through a print driver, so you can design your files in many different graphic software packages including CorelDraw, Illustrator, Photoshop, AutoCAD, *and much more.* CorelDraw is the most commonly used software, but the laser *works with many different packages.*"

Here's Universal's:

"Virtually any design file format can be used."

Trotec:

"As easy to use as an office printer. Using its vectorizing function, you can send the files from your usual graphics program directly to the laser machine for marking. No intermediate step is required and work preparation is reduced to a minimum. "

That's probably enough about print drivers for me.
    You're a smart guy and know 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Cheers
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    You're a smart guy and know 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Cheers
    Thanks.

Cheers

Ok, I'll bite: what exactly do you mean by "screen saver file"? The executable programs that generate the cool patterns? The BMP files used as wallpaper? Something else?

(In some cases, the answer is "Yes." In other cases, the answer is "No, but neither will any other printer I own.")
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Ask them if their driver will allow you to engrave/cut directly from a screen saver file.
    There's also the question of what you mean by "directly": if, for example, you right-click on a .PDF file and select 'Print', Windows launches Acrobat Reader to do the printing. It can't go directly to the printer driver because printer drivers are not stand-alone programs. In any case, at that point, it doesn't know what printer to use.

Again, that is true for any printer driver, not just Epilog/ULS/Trotec.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

A lot of the countries on the list are in warm climates. The GF probably wouldn't work there unless they invested in A/C so they should consider themselves lucky
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

my lasers can raster engrave virtually anything that's on a computer screen... I just click 'print screen', open any program I want that will display it, paste it, click 'print', choose my laser (can't avoid this! ), click the photo icon, send to the laser...

But "cutting" requires a toolpath, and toolpath's don't just happen, they must be created beforehand. How the toolpath is created is totally insignificant. It simply must reside in any program that will print it AS a toolpath rather than a photo of a toolpath, aka a bitmap...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle