Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Chisel Set

Blog Entries

Stanley Chisel Set

I have no idea about these other than the price looks like one I couldn't refuse.

Stanley 3 Chisel Set.png

Three piece set, 12mm(1/2"), 18mm(3/4") & 25mm(1") for $3.99. Plastic handles but at that price if someone needed some beaters or wanted to modify or use for plane blades, it is hard to turn down.

Saw this in the ACE Hardware on line site while looking for information on a new cordless drill.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"price looks like one I couldn't refuse" ----- I would have no trouble saying "no" to those.

Stanley's No. 40 and No. 60 series chisels, from back there in time a ways, had very good steel. I rely on my No. 60s for carpentry work; the steel takes a good edge and is very tough, and the plastic handles with steel caps mean I can use a hammer. Not sure of the modern steel, though.

At the price, it might be worth finding out if the modern steel is any good, particularly if you live in an area with poor* yard sales and if you need carpentry or rough work chisels. From the photos, they look to have relatively narrow lands on the edges of the blades. I've been surprised and frustrated by how many vintage chisels have rather wide lands, more so in narrower widths, exactly where you are more likely to need the narrow land to get into corners.

I've noticed a lot of the newer plastic handles are soft in comparison to the old handles. Not a good thing for chopping, as the handle will absorb a lot of the grunt you're putting into the work. Hard to tell what kind of handles those have, other than plastic.

If they disappoint you, well, there's always Habitat's ReStore waiting for donations.

*Defined, of course, as "not many good tools."
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 12-19-2015 at 5:29 PM.

Likewise, they would be nice loaners. If all else fails, decent paint can openers. Please forgive me....

Blog Entries
    Hey it's funny but chisels are great for opening paint cans and other jobs not fit for an edge tool you'll acually use as an edge tool. A chisel is fantastic for removing vintage upholstery nails.... Or maybe you'll be chiseling old lumber that has nails in it, for 4$, I'm sure you'll be glad to have them.

Blog Entries
    for 4$, I'm sure you'll be glad to have them.
    Found out with the ACE Rewards card they are a dollar off.

I bought a set just to see.

Nothing super fantastic, but at a buck apiece, they can be loaners, beaters or maybe even grind the 1/2" one down to be a fishtail.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

There is something to be said about the softer steel in the Stanley chisels: It won't chip. I always have one in my toolbox when doing carpentry work, not because they are sharp and cut well, but because they can do the dirty jobs that would cause serious damage to my more fragile-edged Japanese chisels. For instance, cutting a lock mortise in a doorframe when there might be concealed nails or screws; or chopping through lathe and plaster. Any job where the edge might strike grit. The Stanley chisel dulls quickly, but it sharpens again quickly too, and WON't CHIP!. Worth keeping if the price was right.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Hey it's funny but chisels are great for opening paint cans
    Be sure to wear protective eye wear if you do this, just incase the chisel snaps and throws a few shards.

jtk

Blog Entries
    I like cheap chisels for cleaning up the squeeze-out on glue-ups. You don't use nice chisels for that.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

And,all this time,I thought screwdrivers were for opening paint cans!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    And,all this time,I thought screwdrivers were for opening paint cans!
    I have a few tools made for opening paint cans. I will at times use a larger screw driver if my paint can tool isn't near.

Safety starts with using the correct tool for a job.

jtk

Blog Entries
    I have no 60's properly sharpened that reside in my tool apron for outdoor projects. I echo what Bill said. They will sharpen to proper edges, and they are good for chopping mortises if the bench is not available. My 60's are over 30 years old.

I have a similar set of short fat Stanley chisels that I picked up 10-15 years ago. My handles feel like a rubberized plastic but seem to take mallet blows well enough. They hold an edge well enough but are mostly relegated to dirty jobs. I'm sure I paid more than $4 for my set.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Jim, if I have to bet on someone who can turn sows ears into silk purses, my money's on you.

I love chisels like this for trimming epoxy fill, glue line scraping and other rough work.

Blog Entries
    I have on of these Stanley's in my carpenter/plumber/electrician bag, same as Stanley I use it for spots where I am nervous about damaging a better chisel.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.