Thread: Spokeshave blade relief angle

Spokeshave blade relief angle

I have a L-N small spokeshave with a extra large relief, or clearance angle, behind the blade. The blade is ground from tyhe factory at 25 degrees, the bed is 45 degrees. I was considering changing the blade to 35 degrees to eliminate the large clearance gap. I am hoping it will help the tool have less chatter and easier to set. I do not want to second guess L-N, they seem to know how to make a good tool.... so wondering if a 35 degree bevel on a spokeshave might be a good thing?
    Here is a picture of the gap behind the blade:
    20151219_150224.jpg

Blog Entries
    When dealing with Lie Nielsen I contact them. They can probably answer your question.

I've had issue with excessive relief in front of spoke shave blades, but never even looked at relief behind the blade.

That looks like a sweet shave. Have you tried rotating the shave a tiny bit when using it. Spoke shave chatter I have experienced was remedied by a finer set on the blade and taking translucent shavings.

Thanks for the reply Lowell. Yes I've tried most everything from skewing my cuts to a fine blade settings. Its a small shave meant for whisper cuts but I find its a bit finicky to set up. Works good but not as sweet as other L-N products. I have an old Stanley 54 with a blade bevel of 35 degrees, it works great, That is where I got the idea from.
    Maybe someone here has experimented with different spokeshave blade angles other than 25 degrees?

4. Easy enough to experiment with. If the edge life seems short, especially if you get chipping or folding go with a bit higher grind angle. do it incrementally with a microbevel so going back doesn't waste steel. If you reach a point where it has a hard time staying in the cut, grind a little lower. You'll find the place where edge life and performance balance out.

So if I go too high the edge life may suffer?

OK. The blade may not want to "dig in" if the blade angle is up around 35, the blade may ride over the wood and not stay in cut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Regan View Post
    OK. The blade may not want to "dig in" if the blade angle is up around 35, the blade may ride over the wood and not stay in cut.
    35º may be the maximum to prevent the blade from riding over the wood with a 45º bed.

Have you looked under the blade toward a light to insure the blade is well against the bed all the way across.

Spoke shaves can be a bear to get set. Tapping the handle with a small wooden mallet will withdraw the blade. You may have to loosen the cap screw just a touch. Tapping the handle to withdraw the blade also helps with lateral adjustments.

If the blade moves too much with your tapping, then you are tapping too hard.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...keshave-presto

I would contact Lie Nielsen . I have found them to be very helpful when I contact them.

I have found them to be extremely helpful.

OBTW, that is a sweet shave you have.