Thread: Dates for Stanley from England?

Dates for Stanley from England?

Never have seen dates for when Stanley moved some production to England. What items were made there? Source for info?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Although I'm not sure of this, I have the impression that Stanley started making tools in England years, probably decades, before they stopped production in the U.S. So this is likely to be a matter of defining your question. I take it you mean, "when did they stop production in the U.S. and depend entirely on production from England?"

Even that could be a complicated question. The 90J bullnose rabbet (a nice little plane; I've got one) was produced in the U.S. only to 1943, according to Patrick Leach, and only for six years. But Stanley of England was producing it long after, I believe deep into the 1980s; a now-defunct mail order firm, William Alden, was featuring it in their catalogs at least that long. But I don't know if Stanley of England started production at the same time as in the U.S., or picked it up at some later date.

Have I confused the issue enough? I'll stop now.

Can't help on getting an actual answer, I'm afraid.

Blog Entries
    From this site:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/stanley...ne-2012.t71769

It appears to have started in 1937.

The operation came to Sheffield in 1937 with the acquisition of J.A Chapman of Sheffield, taking over the brace and drill facility at Woodside Lane. James Arscott Chapman was listed in Goodman's Guide as a toolmaker and metal plane maker. The UK presence grew outwards to include sites at Ecclesfield and Hellaby.
    The United Kingdom had a high import tax to protect their own manufactures.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I believe they started making plans in 1972