Thread: Small walnut and zebrawood cabinet

Small walnut and zebrawood cabinet

This is a replacement for the medicine cabinet in our powder room. I have just a little touch-up to do before I can hang it.

P1020986M.jpg

P1020987M.jpg

P1020983M.jpg

P1020982M.jpg

That is handsome and nice luxury addition. And I've noticed there is a surprising lack of good commercial choices.

Tell us about your finish schedule please.

I finished this with Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish, wiped on with blue shop towels; many very light coats. There is nothing underneath. This is my second small project using Waterlox. I think I could eventually get good at applying it. But I do not enjoy the sometimes-fruitless horsing around to avoid having it go to waste. Maybe that wouldn't seem so annoying on larger projects, where you would use a lot more at once.

I love Waterlox, and use it on both large and small projects. Nice cabinet!

Beautiful! Does Waterlox keep long after opening? I rarely go through finish quickly and much is wasted. Thanks
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Jay, that is a beautiful replacement for a medicine cabinet. Really ups the game for the rest of the bathroom fixtures . The strap-like hinges are interesting and add an attractive design detail. Can you point me to a source?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks! Those hinges came from House of Antique Hardware, the satin nickel finish.

You are right about the rest of the furnishings. We've already upgraded the vanity top, faucet, and the toilet. Sometime this year, I will be making a mirror and a vanity with the same woods. I guess that leaves the light fixture ...

This is my first experience with Waterlox. I decanted the quart into 4-ounce jars. I filled them just short of overflowing, topped them off with drops of mineral spirits until they did overflow, and sealed them up tight. I found this suggestion in a thread here, but I am too lazy to find that thread again right now.

Okay, here's that thread.
    Last edited by Jay Aubuchon; 01-02-2016 at 7:05 AM. Reason: Added link to previous thread.

Great idea!. This will prevent my prior need to purchase new finish with each project. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    This is my first experience with Waterlox. I decanted the quart into 4-ounce jars. I filled them just short of overflowing, topped them off with drops of mineral spirits until they did overflow, and sealed them up tight. I found this suggestion in a thread here, but I am too lazy to find that thread again right now.

Okay, here's that thread.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!