Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

21 Dec 2015

Greetings Everyone,
    My hope is that this finds each of you warm, dry, progress on Christmas gifts a plenty, and healthy.
    Spent some time this weekend helping #2 son with brakes on his car and good thing I have a heated shop for us to work in. Nothing like working on a vehicle inside a shop with lights, heat, in the dry, and tools really close by.
    The guitar project is nearing an end and Chuck and I area already planning on the next guitar build. Once I get it all setup, I'll post a pic.

Had out of state family visit this weekend so it's been busy with them and really happy to spend time with family. Been fighting a sinus infection for the past week and I'm way past ready to be over this. I truly need to be in the shop and working instead of laying up in the house trying to get well over a sinus infection and cold. First one I've had in 4 years.

Went with the visiting family to see Star Wars Episode 7 and enjoyed the movie as well. I remember when the first Star Wars movie came out and my buddies and I waited in line for over 3 hours to catch the midnight showing at a theater in Denver, CO way back in 1977.

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this final weekend before Christmas?

Best of weeks to you all....and Merry Christmas to each of you from The Peacock Family.!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I logged into SMC for the first time in a long time.

Finished up the construction of this and one other Christmas project.
    Mirror.jpg
    Now if I can just get both pieces painted between now and Christmas morning.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    Friday, I got a note explaining that I my insurance coverage was dropped for next year - Yikes! I spent the weekend worrying about this until the customer service line opened this morning (Stupid to worry I know). When I got them on the phone it was resolved in 10 minutes - Yeah!

Saturday, I took the family to Star Wars which we loved. I saw the first Star Wars with the LOML when it first came out. We have seen them all in the theatre since with our son. It rained afterwards which slowed any outdoor activity. Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well, so it was a slow day.

Bayern and the Seahawks both won.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I did get some shop time this weekend working on the headboard project for my daughter. The frame is all completed outside of a few edge treatments and the small shelf units (like nightstands, but attached) are partially constructed. Once they are done, I'll create the fastening system to put them on the headboard and then commence with finishing. The "fields" in the headboard frame will be painted bead-board...darling daughter has to choose a color for that and it will also be used to repaint the trim in her room.

I haven't decided what my next project will be, but it may be an interim thing to finally put up some permanent placement for my hand tools so they more accessible than in cloth rolls in a cardboard box as they have been for about, oh...a decade. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    I logged into SMC for the first time in a long time.
    Welcome "stranger"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Glad to see a neighbor check in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Welcome "stranger"...
    Thanks Jim! Thought I'd pop in and see how the other half lived.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Glad to see a neighbor check in.
    Thanks Julian.

Hi Dennis, hope you beat your infection, have fun in the shop and a very Merry Christmas.

I made some cheese boards for Christmas presents. The majority of the wood is quarter sawn ash from trees killed by the Emerald Ash Borer in the townhouse group I live in. A few of the boards have crab apple from the tree in my front yard that succumbed to old age.

The remainder of the wood is walnut and cherry from urban scrounging, and some purple heart.

The finish is Doctor's Woodshop Cutting Board Wax.

Photo 1 is setting the cutter height, the boards are 25mm thick, the cutter is 40mm high so center is 32.5mm. The cutter is a 40mm radius which gives a really nice looking profile.

Photo 2 shows the cut, the fences are offset so that the cutter takes the entire edge, resulting in a perfectly straight smooth edge.

Photo 3 shows the shaping operation.

Photo 4 is the stack before finishing, Photo 5 is a shot of some finished boards. The boards have small rubber feet under them that press into a 5mm hole........Regards, Rod.

Setting Cutter Height.jpgView of Profile.jpgCutting the Profile.jpgBoards Prior to Finishing.jpgBoards With Finish Applied.jpg

No snow yet to clear so I didn't have any work around the house to do so I finished up the Bowl from a Board blanks that I glued up a few weekends ago...

BB 2.jpgBB 1.jpgBB 3.jpg

First, I got hit in the face

My first accomplishment was hitting myself in the face with a piece of wood. I cut some dovetails a bit tight and my wife came down and distracted me while I was trying to pull it apart. When it came loose, I pulled it straight up into my chin. Luckily, the blood did not get on the wood.

Next, my neighbors screen door came loose. It seems that most of the screws went into the empty space between the door frame and the two x four support wood that supports the primary door. I had a piece of oak sitting around so I milled it to a bit under the maximum width and then used my hand planes to trim down the areas for the narrower fit. This gave the screws something to actually screw into. And now their screen door is securely attached. Not sure how it managed to stay mostly working given how it had been installed. In my opinion, it is still not right, but my neighbor did not really want to pull the thing and put it back in (which meant a lot less work for me).

Rod.... Those are some great looking cheese boards!!

Made a clock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Rod.... Those are some great looking cheese boards!!
    Thanks, they're not as nice as your bowls however, very well done..........Rod.