Thread: Ming Inspired Mahogany Console Table

Ming Inspired Mahogany Console Table

Latest project, not the biggest, but probably the most intricate I've done. Decided to draw from my roots and base much of the design the joinery aspects off of Ming era furniture, mainly the mitered mortise and tenoned frame and panel top and the carcass directly mortised into the frame. Also first time doing half blind dovetails.

Lots of small issues, but the biggest is the frame and panel top where I rabbeted too much slack worrying about wood movement so there is a decent sized gap. Since the panel was so thin I could've probably gotten away with a much tighter tolerance.

Lots of chisel work (I think I finally started liking chopping mortises) and coincidentally got intrigued by Japanese chisels while building it that I went kinda crazy on Stu's site with the first couple hopefully arriving today.

IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg

Very nice..I like the design...Something else for the to do list...

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice joinery on the miters. I assume that mortising and tenoning is done before mitering in this type of joint, is that right?

Hmm, that probably would've been smart. First time doing this style of top so actually mitered first which did make chopping the mortise kinda tricky. The first tenon was actually centered vs aligned to the inner edge and I did blow through a corner that I had to glue back.

Nice design, nice work. What finish did you use?
    Jim

Nice looking table. Great match to your house too.

Good job, congratulations!

That's a lovely table. Well done!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Awesome piece! Thank you for posting up your project, really well turned out.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.