Thread: Widening the Gap

Widening the Gap

I'm building a workshop, and have to fit a 2" thick 2x6 in-between a shed roof and the posts. The shed roof is decked with 2x6 T&G. The problem is that, despite my best measurements, the 2x6 decking is too close to the posts. I've drawn a simplified diagram of the gap. Over 20', on one side it is 1/4" too close, on the other side it is fine. I couldn't run the T&G all the way to the posts as the measurements didn't allow for it.

What tool or method would you use to widen the gap? I thought about setting my cordless circular saw to the appropriate angle and cutting off the excess, then using a chisel to finish the bottom edge of the 2x6 decking. The other option would be to use my oscillating tool, but that won't provide as straight of an edge. I've considered altering the 2x6 that needs to fit between, but I would have to put a taper on it over its length which seems impossible to do with my limited set of tools.

I really should have bought a 2x8 so I could run it right up to the posts, but I didn't.

rafters.jpg

I figured it out, used my circular saw:

I got it to fit:

Glad you got it worked out.

Nicely done. At that angle you must have been quite close to the maximum depth of the blade. With that thin strip you cutoff, I think I would have planed down (or rabbeted) the vertical piece. Can't wait to see photos of how this structure develops.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Nicely done. At that angle you must have been quite close to the maximum depth of the blade. With that thin strip you cutoff, I think I would have planed down (or rabbeted) the vertical piece. Can't wait to see photos of how this structure develops.
    Yeah, that was my thought too - but I would have had to taper it from one end to the other. All in all it turned out nicely, and I'm happier with it than I thought I would be. The tar left from the ice+water shield gave me a little more control over the saw cut, and the bottom edge of the T&G board was smoother than my circular saw cuts typically are . I barely had to use my orbital sander on it.

I think my saw could have cut deeper, but I set it to just deeper than the 2x6 - I think it could have gone another 1/2".

I placed all three girts and nailed them in today: