Thread: So What If the Power is Out?

Blog Entries

So What If the Power is Out?

The power failed during the high winds yesterday. So I rigged up one of my flashlights with a white paper bag and a rubber band. With it hanging in the shop I was able to use a hand saw and do a little bit of work.

Later in the evening Candy wanted to play Yahtzee but the candles weren't bright enough.

So a quick trip to the shop and my new cordless drill:

100_6796.jpg100_6797.jpg

It actually puts out a good amount of light. I have used similar set ups while camping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Neat tip..

Hi Jim,

The flash light bag set up looks like it did a good job. Great idea! I have a camping lantern or two, if I can find them, that put out a lot of light, but haven't used them in a spell. Come to think of it, one is on a tool cabinet in the garage, but it hasn't been used for years. I inherited it from my folks so I will have to fiddle with it, as it literally may not have been used for 30 or 40 years. I think my other one is in the attic, but it may not have been used in 15 years or so.

We don't have the power off for very long normally. If we did have the power go out the two lanterns would give off enough light to use the table saw or routers....oooops!.....no power for that either.

The hand saws, chisels, and planes are cordless though, and as one of the guys sign off points out, they are, as such, totally modern.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-22-2015 at 9:41 PM.

We don't have any flashlights around the house. When the power goes out, we always use candles, but they are not very bright. Next time the power is out, I'll use this neat tip with one of our candles! Thanking you in advance. I'll let you know how it works.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Every husband and or father is obligated to have on hand the tools necessary to keep his household operational and his family safe during emergencies. This includes adequate shelter, clothing, food and water, physical security, emergency medical, heat in the winter, and yes, because it gets dark everyday, a reliable light source.

Having been through plenty of long power outages in all sorts of weather and during emergencies both in the US and abroad resulting from blizzards, ice storms, typhoons, tsunami, and severe government incompetence and corruption, I know that candles are too expensive, produce too little light, and are too dangerous to be a practical standalone solution. I like the light produced by Coleman gas lanterns, but the noise and stink are too much for indoors, not to mention unhealthy. And anything that runs on batteries, of course, will only work for a few hours of constant use.

When living in central Ohio, I looked for an alternative, and learned about Aladdin mantle lamps, and have been very satisfied with them. They produce lots of pleasant light, without the noise, smoke, and smell of gas lanterns. Fuel consumption is low, and for a little extra running cost, they can act as bug repellent too. Very safe. Not quite a neanderthal solution, but at least as old as the Bailey-pattern plane.

They look like regular oil lamps, but in addition to the usual wick, they have a rare earth-coated silk mantle like the Coleman lanterns have which, when combined with the wick and chimney, creates a very bright light.

I have it on good authority that Aladdin lamps sell especially well among the Amish that do not hook up to the electrical grid, and therefore use non-electrical lighting everyday. I have kept mine running at night for up to three weeks during power outages with no problems. The latest long-term usage was during the tsunami in 2011 in Northern Japan. Keeping adequate fresh fuel on hand can be a challenge in the case of any light source, but is one that can be overcome without much difficulty. http://aladdinlamps.com/
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 12-24-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    We don't have any flashlights around the house. When the power goes out, we always use candles, but they are not very bright. Next time the power is out, I'll use this neat tip with one of our candles! Thanking you in advance. I'll let you know how it works.
    Surely, I hope, you jest.

I have seen too many times where people have tried such with disastrous consequences to just smile and let this slip by.

A frosted glass chimney or frosted jar works well for diffusing an open flame.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    For emergencies I have a couple flashlights and a hand crankable flashlight as well. If I were not in an emergency situation, I'd use the Coleman lanterns (I have two) in an appropriately ventilated place (we live in a forgiving climate).

My Father used to read my brother and I stories by Coleman lantern when camping. Some good memories there. Your family may also share these good memories of you.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Flashlight, bag, and rubber band ... great tip, thanks!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Jim, Jim, Jim.........Me Jest? No, me Bob. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Nice trick with the paper bag Jim, I0'm tempted to try it. At our cabin we have a few of those LED solar landscape lights that we use inside for emergencies. They shine all night long outdoors or indoors and put out a surprising amount of light.

A gallon jug of water diffuses a flashlight pretty well. Or just get an LED light with moonlight mode. My 4sevens quark mini123 will run for a few days on one battery.

Like the paper bag trick. Also like to add that there were many times when lights when out at work - glow from laptop screen was a saviour, giving enough light to rummage for the flashlights, batteries, etc. Phone screens help, too.