Thread: Shaker firewood box

Shaker firewood box

Graham Haydon's Making a log bin thread was dang timely, since it helped me figure out what to do for my parents' Xmas gift. But since I'm 1/100th as capable, I took my design from Popular Woodworking's Pleasant Hill Firewood Box. To make it my own, though, I mucked up the curves and some of the joinery. (But most of the joinery muck-ups are hidden, so I'm gonna file that as a win.)

firewood box.jpg

The wood's BORG pine (EWP?) left unfinished. My mom's a professional muralist, painter, faux finisher, and designer, so I'm going to at least consult her for the final finish. I've been leaning toward BLO or milk paint, but I haven't been able to bring myself to paint over the cut nails (even if I did go a wee nuts), and the BLO I put on a scrap piece has left a faint, dirty finish.

Oh, and it's all done with hand tools—no electrons transferred aside from those from my metabolism and the bulb in my tiny shop.

Please leave any criticisms. Gotta crowd-source my improvement.

I like it Barry,The detail that catches my eye are the nails.The spacing looks uniform,a bit of uneven spacing looks more handcrafted. The curves in the opening are my favorite part.

I like it!! Good job!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks, Andrew and Terry!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I like it Barry,The detail that catches my eye are the nails.The spacing looks uniform,a bit of uneven spacing looks more handcrafted. The curves in the opening are my favorite part.
    My dividers got a lot of work on the nails. And I've come around on the curves, which I'm now kinda happy look like commas.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Barry:

Nice job!!

I would give milk paint a try - we did some pine boxes for the Toys for Kids program our WW Guild does every Xmas, and we used white MP base and a medium green overcoat - ( a couple more coats of MP ) - we then gave them a slathering of BLO IIRC to ' fix ' the MP.

I made a spare for our grand daughter and it has weathered things very well indeed.

Just my 2 cents - keep up the good work! Oh, and Merry Christmas to all!!!!

Dave B