Thread: chip carved ornaments

chip carved ornaments

I don't know if it's OK to double post but in case it's not, this is a link to a chip-carved ornamant post I made on the Turning section.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...51#post2507451

JKJ

Lower Onslow NS, about half way between the the North Pole and the Equator
    Hi John
    Very nice work,I will pass this link along to a chip carver friend

All the best this holiday season
    Bruce

carving on turnings

Thanks! I took up chip carving a few months ago so I could try carving on woodturnings. Good fun! I've seen a lot of flat work but not much on curved things. Perhaps your friend would be interested in my first try on a turning, not perfect but a start:

chip_carved_goblet_IMG_5001.jpg

This is a glue-up of cherry, walnut, and basswood. I wanted the basswood to carve and the other woods for the weight.

I actually bought a Wayne Barton knife many years ago and tried chip carving but gave up after the first attempt. I did not realize the new knife was not usable until it was properly reshaped and sharpened. Unfortunately no hint of this came with the knife. I wonder how many other people have been discouraged with a new knife like this. (I know of one other.)

When I finally learned about the blade it suddenly became not only possible, but easy! At least easy to cut into the wood...

JKJ

Oh, my! What a nice technique, guys! You're masters of saws I'm not the one to do, but to admire the artworks. You know, wherever I travel I bring some tokens home to remind me of the places and stunning human art. It's all surrounded with photos, statuettes and pictures there in my appartment. By the way, have you seen this http://www.inlineovals.com/Rome-Oval...602-Gold-Leaf/? I suppouse, it's very similar to what you do! Brilliant, guys, go on!

By the way, have you seen this http://www.inlineovals.com/Rome-Oval...602-Gold-Leaf/? I suppouse, it's very similar to what you do
    That is done a completely different way, pretty nice if done by hand.

But be careful when buying, a lot of things that look carved are really cast out of plaster or something then covered with gold leaf, fake gold leaf, or even painted to hide the fact that it's not real wood. You might see the grain through the gold or paint but sometimes what you are seeing is the casting of the grain. Sometimes you can tell by "thumping" the back with your fingernail.

The particular one you show says "wood" in the description but in the details it says "MDF" which is basically wood fibers mixed with some kind of resin or glue, kind of like ground up paper. This particular piece is junk (in my opinion), maybe worth $20. Unfortunately, this quality is about all that's available to the public these days. If it were hand carved by a craftsman it would cost and be worth much more.

Oh, man, you gave me a real food for thought! I can't tell the difference between carved and casted out things, as you do... That's a pity. Thank you for the points to understand the good quality. Real craftmen are worthless, that's a rule. Well, but ordinary customers may be not that sophisticated and buy such things for decorations. Why not?