Thread: Sign Design Software

Sign Design Software

Hi all, Hope you have all had a great day and good rest.

I am looking to do 3D HDU signage on my router and wondered whether Vectric Aspire would be suitable or whether something like: http://www.enroutesoftware.com/signmaking-buy would be better, if so, in what way? I would far rather not go the second, more expensive route if Aspire (http://www.vectric.com/products/aspire.html) would do the job well (for me this would be an upgrade from Vectric V Carve Pro).
    Your recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks and hoping you all have a prosperous year ahead.
    Kind Regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

If you're intended use is 3D modeling, the answer is whichever one you're more comfortable using. For 3D work, the end result has a lot more to do with the artist than the tools he's using.

Neither is going to automatically create 3D reliefs for you.

Enroute seems to have a few more features, but for creating 3D reliefs, I don't think it's worth 3x the price to get the Pro version, which is required for a lot of the 3D tools.
    Gerry

JointCAM

If you already have and use VCarve then Aspire would be the logical next step, IMO. As you probably already know, Vectric has EXCELLENT training videos and an excellent on-line support forum. I'm in no way a master but I find Aspire pretty intuitive. I don't know anything about Enroute. Either will require a learning investment.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Are you looking to do this to make money? If so, really think about it all the way. If it takes you 2 hour to model something, 3 hours to carve, and 2 hours to finish can you really turn a profit?
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thanks for all your responses. Some pertinent answers here, thanks. I do enjoy using V Carve Pro and Vectric is a fantastic company to deal with. I appreciated Gerry’s comment: “the end result has a lot more to do with the artist than the tools he’s using” and Ross’s: “can you really turn a profit?”. I am looking at this as an expansion to what I already do with the equipment I already have. If it does look profitable, I would like to incorporate it - but that has not been quantified yet - new ideas - thanks Ross.
    Kind Regards, John
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

6. Agree to Gerry, basic software makes no difference, especially when it comes to sign making which requires a lot of 2D works. 3D is the same, just different way for creating tool path and different tools used.
    LIMAC CNC Router Ltd
    Tianjin, China

Vectric will offer you a substantial discount to upgrade your VCarve Pro license to Aspire.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Vectric will offer you a substantial discount to upgrade your VCarve Pro license to Aspire.
    Hi Keith,
    Thanks for that.
    PS: I have a constant stream of corian signage, thanks to your initial intro to the idea and tips etc.
    Kind Regards,
    John

Excellent, I like to hear from people who have been able to incorporate Corian signs into their product line. I probably warned you that the demand for Corian signs and other projects will grow and grow and grow!
    Give some thought to adding Corian dye-sublimation when you can, its an easy way to offer color photographs and graphics to your signs as inlays.

Thanks Keith.
    Hope you have a blessed year.