Thread: Unisaw Fence Opinions

Unisaw Fence Opinions

I am looking at a 1994 vintage Unisaw. It's right tilt which is my only real concern. I know that's all there used to be but still.... Anyway here is a photo of the fence. Is this a good solid fence that squares up consistently without a lot of hassle? Whether it ends up being this one or another one I was just wanting those with experience and knowledge to weigh in. Thanks in advance.

Unisaw Fence.jpg

it is basically the same fence that comes on the Hammer table saws. It is multi-adjustable. The Hammer is also a right tilting table saw. With that fence, you can put the short side against the blade and slide the fence forward (towards the user) to avoid any pinch point or binding of the wood, especially with cutting angles. When I was looking at Unisaws, this is the fence I wanted. I now have a Hammer.

In most cases 95% of cuts are done at 90°, in which case RT/LT doesn't mean diddly squat. Bevel cuts can be done safely on a RT if you use proper technique.

I debated going with the Unifence when I bought my Unisaw (that's what Norm used on New Yankee Wood Shop) but decided on the Biesemeyer. Both fences are very good, I think I would've been happy with either.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a right tilt Unisaw with a Unifence. Had it for over 20 years, and in all that time I wished it was left tilt a total of ONCE. The left side of the fence rail is cut short for a Jessem slider table, or I could have simply used the fence on the left side of the blade. I now have a left tilt Sawstop in addition to the uni, and have not needed the left tilt yet.

The Unifence is basically the same as the fence on the Felder saw I had. Some say it is difficult to adapt jigs to it, but I simply drilled three holes in it for sacrificial fence that I also use for attaching jigs. Three knobs, and it is on or off. No big deal. One thing that is a big deal is the weight difference between it and the Beis clone on the SS. That thing is heavy, and it is a lot easier to take the Unifence off and on when needed. I also have a short piece of fence that I can exchange when I want to do ripping on wood that may not be perfectly straight. On the other hand, the beis type is handier to make saddle types of jigs for.

Not that I dislike the beis, they are just different, but if I had a choice, I would have put a Unifence on the SS.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-14-2016 at 6:32 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've also had a Unisaw with Unifence for about 20 years, and am very happy with it.
    I prefer right tilt to left tilt.
    I cut miters and chamfers all the time with the blade buried in a sacrificial fence.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I have used the Unifence and the Beisemeyer and I hate the Unifence. It is personal preference. I just prefer the Beisemeyer. There are a lot of people that love that fence. I don't like the locking mechanism of the fence. I also don't like the dual cursor for the high low fence. To much room for error for me if I'm not paying attention. On the plus side it is adjustable, stays calibrated, and is accurate (if you read the right cursor). Delta neither makes or supports that fence anymore.

In the fifty, or so, years that I've been using table saws, I've had the opportunity to use most commercially available fences. That being said, I have found the Unifence to be superior to anything else on the market. Today I have three of them, two mounted on PM66's, and the third used on a 12" Rockwell. When I ordered the fence for the Rockwell, Delta still sold a 10' version. Mine is set up so the fence can be used on either side of the blade. Sure, the cursor doesn't work, but I never use the cursor, anyway. Old school, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Some say it is difficult to adapt jigs to it, but I simply drilled three holes in it for sacrificial fence that I also use for attaching jigs...I also have a short piece of fence that I can exchange when I want to do ripping....
    Peachtree woodworking sells a nice replacement rail in different lengths, that makes attachment of jigs and accessories rather easy. They call it the Uni-T-Fence. Works great and not too expensive. I would post a link but I think that is prohibited here at this site. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that!

I love my Unifences. I put one on my new Grizzly cabinet saw and have one on the old Craftsman table saw that I have used for many years. The ShopFox Biesemeyer clone that came with my Grizzly remains in the unopened box.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I've always preferred that UniFence style over the more basic tee-square type fence. Being able to go high or low and to be able to pull the fence back to use as an accurate and safe stop for crosscutting is a major benefit. And I enjoy that style fence today on my Euro slider. There's no reason at all that I can think of that would prevent squaring it up properly...the adjustments are easy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have used the Unifence and the Beisemeyer and I hate the Unifence. It is personal preference. I just prefer the Beisemeyer. There are a lot of people that love that fence. I don't like the locking mechanism of the fence. I also don't like the dual cursor for the high low fence. To much room for error for me if I'm not paying attention. On the plus side it is adjustable, stays calibrated, and is accurate (if you read the right cursor). Delta neither makes or supports that fence anymore.
    This.

I can't stand the uni fence. For ease of use the Biesemeyer and the clones are my preference. For durability, or use with a power feed, the pin type like Tannewitz and Northfield use are great. Not an awesome choice if you're changing fence position constantly.

I also don't feel you can make that aluminum extrusion as slippery as you can a piece of laminate.

It's likely a "all in what you're used to" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    This.

I can't stand the uni fence. For ease of use the Biesemeyer and the clones are my preference. For durability, or use with a power feed, the pin type like Tannewitz and Northfield use are great. Not an awesome choice if you're changing fence position constantly.

I also don't feel you can make that aluminum extrusion as slippery as you can a piece of laminate.

It's likely a "all in what you're used to" thing.

We laminated a piece of PLAM to it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Peachtree woodworking sells a nice replacement rail in different lengths, that makes attachment of jigs and accessories rather easy. They call it the Uni-T-Fence. Works great and not too expensive. I would post a link but I think that is prohibited here at this site. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that!
    Bill
    Bill, that is not correct. See below.

Peachtree Woodworking link: Uni T Fence - Peachtree Woodworking Supply

It is also available from Amazon.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the (TOS) Terms of Service, located at the bottom of each page:

3. External Linking
    Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I had a Unifence on my Delta hybrid saw for >20 years, then I bought a new Unisaw with the Biesmeyer fence. I debated which fence to keep and ended up keepingthe Biesmeyer, primarily because of the hassle it would've been to swap the fence rails on the two saws. I like the adjustability of the Unifence. I was somewhat difficult to clamp an auxiliary fence to it, but I kept some large (~1 1/2" diameter) dowels as a backer for the clamps. The Biesmeyer's melamine-on-particle board fence faces make it look like it's of less quality than the Unifence, but in the 4 years I've owned it I have no complaints. Bottom line for my opinion is that both are excellent fences.

14. My sawstop had the Biesenmeyer, and so have all my other old table saws. Most of my dayjob was breaking down sheets of plywood, cutting pieces to a rough certain size, etc. The quick adjustability and squareness of the Biesenmeyer won out.

Right now I'm using an old craftsman in the back yard, and its "laserline" fence is the WORST EVER. It's one of the ones that clamps from the back, so you can get it 1/4" out of square if you aren't careful.