Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

9 May 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope each of you had and celebrated a Mother's Day weekend. I know we did and the LOML and I worked in the yard all day on Saturday and then I went bowling with son #3 and then it was church on Sunday followed by going over to the daughter & son-in-laws place to celebrate Mother's Day there. It was a day to just relax, visit, and have a good time connecting together once again. It was a good day.

I also made time this weekend to finish the chair spindles. I found out that I'm not such a great spindle turner but I think I got them much closer than the originals to match. The originals were 1/2" out of matching and these are closer to like 1/8" out of matching. I did the best I could and now the task comes to figuring out how to make the color match to the original spindles.
    matching_chair_spindles.jpg

matching_chair_stretcher.jpg

So, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past Mother's Day weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, turning work is waaay down the road on my "skills to add" list, so your work is impressive by my standards

Still no shop time this weekend, too many other things going on now that Spring is springin'. LOML and I went up across the border to Squamish BC and hiked around after taking the Sea to Sky Gondola. Wow, is all I can say...which is a lot because I couldn't say much of anything for the first couple of minutes on the ride up.

Sea-to-Sky Gondola_003.jpg Sea-to-Sky Gondola_002.jpg Sea-to-Sky Gondola_004.jpg

Spent some time on the lawn and garden, of course, and then most of Sunday was spent working on the SketchUp diagram for the bunk bed project that I've recently added to my to-do list. I'm still learning the ins and outs of SU, but seem to be catching on.

bunkBed_twinOvrFull_SU.jpg bunkBed_twinOvrFull_noMatts_SU.jpg

I've got all of the pieces drawn and dimensioned, except for the ladder (this is based on a picture I found through Google). Now, I just need to add the joinery, create a cutlist, then go shopping for the lumber. I'd like to do this in cherry, but the cost would be a little too steep, so I'm considering ash or even pine if I can find something that's not too knotty.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 05-09-2016 at 2:38 PM.

I've been learning & working on my first furniture project for a long time now. I don't get too much time in the shop but that's okay I'm sure most of us would like more time in the woodshop . It's my first mortise & tenon experience too so it's been really interesting to see how my mortise & tenons have changed in the different parts of the project. I think the next project might be to build John's horizontal mortising machine since I won't be purchasing a domino or multirouter anytime soon LOL. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how the project is turning out for a first time project. Once all the pieces are done then I'll get to sanding and finishing.
    IMG_20160508_220004695.jpg

Edit: I owe a great thanks to everyone here as I could not have gotten to this point without everyone's help.

Most of my weekend activity revolved around the herb garden, although I did put new blades on the ZTR and cut the grass late on Saturday. I still have some additional landscaping work to complete and then I can hopefully get back on some woodworking projects that have been "on the list" for sometime, including the upper hutch for my buffet/hutch project, some replacement doors for our kitchen area and some other things.

In the mean time, things are "cleaned up" (with several ton of stone on the walkways) and the herbs, hot peppers and a couple tomato plants are happy in their new homes. While most herbs are perenial, we do lose some things over over winter that have to be replaced.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    LOML asked DS to make her a modern birdhouse for Mothers' Day. He of course procrastinated (though I bugged him and offered help/assistance). We finally started on it on Friday Afternoon. It was completed on Saturday with the oil drying over night. We hung it after Mothers' Day breakfast. LOML was very happy which is what was important. I gave her some nice wireless headphones. I took both to a nice restaurant for a wonderful dinner. LOML thought it the best Mothers' Day ever.

We decided that we didn't think it was worth the money to go to Desert Trip. If money were no object, we'd be there, but... I have seen most of the bands, but DS - none and LOML only the Stones in the Some Girls tour.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Little box for Mother's Day. The main wood is sapele, and the drawers are poplar lined with sheepskin. I didn't start this until Saturday so I left it unfinished for now. I also spent some time yesterday making a new miter sled because I am fed up with my stock miter gauge.
    IMG_5435.JPGIMG_5434.JPG

I had my grandson over Saturday afternoon and night, so we picked up rocks from the back yard. Well, sometimes he was in the wheelbarrow too...

Yesterday I put the covers on the outlets in the outbuilding, that I forgot to do when I called for the final inspection. Then I built the base for some cabinets and put them in place to see how it would look.

Not too much.

Another mother's day garden related project. Built these "pea trellis'" for the tall growing Oregon Snap types. Used some D&btr WRC and wasted out full mortises and tenons. They are nice and strong and light so they're easy to move inside for winter. Had some old reels of weed-whacker string and used that for the climbing wires. That should make it easy to strip off the pea stalks before putting them away. There are three "sets" which fill the raised bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Went to Home Depot on Saturday to pick up wood for an Anarchists Staked Bed build. Bought the lumber, was walking to my truck to drive it to the loading area, rolled my ankle. Bad. 30 minutes later, after the pain had faded enough for me to gimp to my truck, I got loaded and drove home. Unloaded, was done.

Spent the rest of the weekend, as well as Monday, in my La-Z-Boy. All in all, not exactly a good weekend.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Most of my weekend activity revolved around the herb garden,.

You guys in the south suck :-)

We had a dusting of snow this morning, it's 4 degrees outside.

I put a new battery in Diann's bike this morning, the afternoon hopefully will be some shop time.........Rod

I'm not going to be getting any shop time for the immediate future, my shop is all in boxes awaiting a move at the end of the month. Luckily, I've got a bright new shop waiting for me on the other end.