Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resaw with table saw?

Yes the practical way is to use a jointer and planer.You can buy milled wood at places like Home Depot.It is expensive,but sometimes for small projects,it is a good solution.They sometimes have bins of hobby wood,this stuff is milled,about 2 ft.long,2 to 3 in.wide,and in thicknesses of about 3/8 to 5/8 or so.You might want to check into this stuff.

"Well, chastising aside, I really don't see how resawing is any more dangerous than anything else you do with a tablesaw.......................
    ............................................Perhap s what we should be telling novices is "Don't use a table saw; its dangerous".- frank hagan

it's a hobby. you learn as you go, not lose as you go.
    with the inventions and advancements in the last few years, i believe rethinking the key tools in the shop is needed. at least for a novice, the idea of what tools are the most dangerous, is a lesson better learned ahead of time. as a hobbiest starting out it will take years, at a couple hours a week, to develop the skills needed to be comfortable with tools such as the TS. it will only take seconds to ruin a project, or worse ruin some part of their anatomy.

take a step back and watch a novice work. then rethink. maybe a guided circular saw and a pocket-hole jig would be a good start. just an idea.
    Last edited by russ bransford; 09-06-2005 at 8:57 AM.

It's not dangerous if done correctly as you probably already know Frank, but it's not for everyone. Everytime something like this is posted you have two camps and both are diametric opposites. If anyone has undue fear of the TS, then that person should never use one.

I'd prefer a bandsaw as well and when I get the thicker blade on my little 12" BS I'll probably move the operation there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
    I am basically asking how I would get or prepare hardwood to build a small box. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Too many power tool junkies here.. I personally prefer a bandsaw myself, and I've often used a tablesaw (before I had a good bandsaw) to resaw. While a bandsaw is easier, you can resaw small pieces of hardwood quite easily by hand. It's a bit more work, but for short pieces it's pretty easy.

I will have to do a little searching (or maybe someone will beat me to it) but there are a couple of good articles on this process. You can use a specifically made type handsaw or just a good western or japanese handsaw to do it. The article I am thinking about goes into how to make one of these -- cost is minimal also.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

here is the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
    I am new to woodworking, and I just finished my first project, a router table. I purchased a 10" table saw for the job, so these are my only two pieces of equipment at the moment. I would like to try building small boxes before moving to furniture, as solid wood can be quite expensive. I am wondering how to get wood that is the correct thickness, as it is not sold this thin, and I am not sure that I could cut thicker wood to this thickness. Also, most of the hardwood that I have seen is rough, and it is my understanding that I would need a planer and joiner to prepare such lumber. Is this correct? I am basically asking how I would get or prepare hardwood to build a small box. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    EZ Smart ,safe and fun.
    http://eurekazone.com/gallery/albums.php
    for multiple pieces you can use the repeater.
    http://eurekazone.com/gallery/repeat-ez-smart/R_EZ_7
    for thick pieces you can flip the wood.
    YCF Dino

edit. and here is the wood.
    http://eurekazone.com/images/gallery/thinwood.html
    Last edited by Dino Makropoulos; 09-06-2005 at 9:25 AM. Reason: ad photos

Personally, I'm wary of resawing on the TS for a number of reasons. There's a lot of blade exposed combined with the inability to use a blade guard and the stock is inherently unstable resting on its edge. Plus, it's taking quite a bite during the cut meaning lots of force. The higher the forces, the lower the amount of control. Also, I don't like the idea of flipping the board around over the blade either. I don't trust my grip that well. But, that's just me. If it feels comfortable to you, then by all means do it.

I'm sure I could devise jigs and fixtures to make it easier and safer, but it's just not worth it to me. A bandsaw wastes less material and is inherently safer.

For a newcomer, who might not yet have learned a healthy respect (and fear) of the tool, I would strongly advise against it.

CAN it be done on a tablesaw? Sure.

SHOULD it be done on a tablesaw? Probably only by an experienced woodworker.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
    I am new to woodworking, and I just finished my first project, a router table. I purchased a 10" table saw for the job, so these are my only two pieces of equipment at the moment. I would like to try building small boxes before moving to furniture, as solid wood can be quite expensive. I am wondering how to get wood that is the correct thickness, as it is not sold this thin, and I am not sure that I could cut thicker wood to this thickness. Also, most of the hardwood that I have seen is rough, and it is my understanding that I would need a planer and joiner to prepare such lumber. Is this correct? I am basically asking how I would get or prepare hardwood to build a small box. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Thought I would re-quote your original message to get us back to the topic.

You have a table saw and a router, mounted in a router table. You want to know if you can resaw wood on the table saw so you can make small boxes. You are just starting out, and want to make some sawdust. As far as I can tell, you aren't looking to add a bandsaw, jointer, planer or Eureka EZ-Guide system to your collection of tools. (Dino's recommendation is to replace your table saw for ripping and cross-cutting, I think ... I don't see a way to use his circular saw guide system as a way to resaw wood, and you already have a table saw, so the "alternate advice" is probably not worth very much at this point. Every now and then Dino crosses over from active contributor to marketer, IMHO, and this thread is an example).

Following the advice given elsewhere on this forum, you might want to see if the library or your local bookstore has the books "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly Mehler and/or "Table Saw Magic" by Jim Tolpin. In "The Table Saw Book", check on page 141 for resawing tips, and in "Table Saw Magic" take a look at pages 84 - 87, where he talks about resawing wood on the table saw. (Keep in mind I don't have these books in front of me ... those are the index pages from Amazon.com). My books on the table saw a bit older than these, including a book by Rodale Press that describes the method I use, and one by Christophoro that, again, describes the method I use. I suspect Tolpin and Mehler take a similar stance. These books are good to have for the safety tips alone ... such as where to stand, what foot your weight should be on, how to avoid kickback, etc. Even old books, in garage sales, can sometimes give great tips.

My first woodworking tools were a table saw and a router, then I built a router table, so I identify with your situation. If you are anything like me, you don't have an unlimited budget. I add tools as I can afford them, but I have to budget them in and choose them wisely. I suspect you're in the same position as I am.

Have you considered ripping thinner strips and glueing them together. Then finish off with a belt sander.

Egon

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Cameron
    Shame on you Don. This man is an ADMITTED novice and you go and encourage him to do something the vast majority of seasoned WWer's would even think of doing on a Tablesaw.
    Holy Moley !!

If you get offended by my chastising...so be it. You need it for encouraging him to try that.

Elliott
    Elliott,
    I am realtively new to this Forum but this is the first time that I have read one poster chastise another so strongly...and not just this one person. I didnt know that any "posting police" were around. I thought this was a Forum - an exchange of ideas.
    While I might agree with your resawing opinions, I do not agree with your refereeing what is right and wrong.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

In the spirit of "a picture is worth a thousand words..."

from this page: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fest-21.htm
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    You can buy milled wood at places like Home Depot.It is expensive,but sometimes for small projects,it is a good solution.They sometimes have bins of hobby wood,this stuff is milled,about 2 ft.long,2 to 3 in.wide,and in thicknesses of about 3/8 to 5/8 or so.You might want to check into this stuff.
    For what it's worth...

Home Depot (at least the ones near me) has red oak and poplar in 1/4" thickness, up to 8" wide, up to 4' long. (And of course various widths/lengths of 3/4" and 1.5". Wish they had 3/8" and 1/2", but so it goes.)

Rockler has 1/8" and 1/4" in various species, 24" or 48" long, but typically no wider than 5". (That's in-store, there may be more options online.)

Plus specialty outlets online that cater to scrollsaw people.

That said, I bought a bandsaw and planer because I got tired of paying those prices.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 09-07-2005 at 6:32 PM.

Lee, you find those over by the 3/4 inch stock of oak and poplar. Never seen it at my HD, but would like to check it out if they do. Anyone no if Menards stores in the midwest carry thin stock like this?

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Lee, you find those over by the 3/4 inch stock of oak and poplar. Never seen it at my HD, but would like to check it out if they do.
    Yup, little slide-out bins underneath the full-size lumber racks. Might not notice if you don't look down by your ankles.

Thanks Lee!

Corey