Thread: I-Joists......can you hang an air cleaner from them?

I-Joists......can you hang an air cleaner from them?

Hi All,

I have a basement workshop and will be adding an air cleaner soon. The joists above head are those laminated I-joists. Can I hang the air cleaner from these?? If so, how would you go about it. Seems like screwing in an eye screw into the flange is not the right way to go.

Thanks

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Farra View Post
    Hi All,

I have a basement workshop and will be adding an air cleaner soon. The joists above head are those laminated I-joists. Can I hang the air cleaner from these?? If so, how would you go about it. Seems like screwing in an eye screw into the flange is not the right way to go.

Thanks

George
    I don't understand why screwing into the flange would be an issue. Subfloor is screwed down to the flanges. Also, the weight of the air cleaner is negligible, especially spread over 2 joists. The only issue I can think of would be transfer of vibration up into the living space.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Here is how I did mine, it has been there for a couple of years.

image.jpg

I did not hang it from chains but instead opted to bolt it directly to the I joist. I just used self tapping lag bolts. I had a hand holding it flat to the joist and just bolted it in with a cordless drill. I imagine you could get less vibrations in the room above using chains but I didn't want to lose any ceiling height. When I bolted it in I put those thick rubber shock absorbing rubber grommets between the joist and the unit. I'm not sure if that did anything or not but I got them at HD in the hardware section that sells various small rubber o rings and such. I took a sharpie and marked all 4 bolts on the unit to see if it was moving or not. The bolts haven't budged and it runs plenty.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I don't understand why screwing into the flange would be an issue. Subfloor is screwed down to the flanges. Also, the weight of the air cleaner is negligible, especially spread over 2 joists. The only issue I can think of would be transfer of vibration up into the living space.
    You definitely can feel the vibration above and around the unit but it's not that bad. My kitchen is directly above it and you can hear a low hum. When standing near it you can feel a vibration but it doesn't shake anything off the walls or table or anything like that.

The air cleaner is one of the rare things I didn't feel the need to go with a higher end unit. Other then possible longevity I think they accomplish the same task. However, maybe the higher end ones vibrate less? Just a thought but I'm happy with mine.

I hung mine on chains (I have >8' to bottom of I-beam joist). Instead of drilling into I-beam, I cut (4) 2x4 pieces to lengthso that it would span between joists without putting any side load into the joists and then placed it on top of the I-beam lower flange. Once it was sized correctly, I then just drilled and threaded a hook into the 2x4's and then used carabiner-style snap hooks to connect the chain to the air cleaner. At the top I used hooks so that the chain length could be adjusted. Worked out really well. I do hear some noise upstairs but it isn't loud at all.

They are required to be strong enough to hold a 250 pound person who falls off a ladder and grabs a flange. I don't think 30 pounds from an air filter will hurt it. I think it is 250 pounds.

Thanks everyone. I knew they had tremendous strength when downward pressure was applied from atop the I-joist ("pushing down force"). I was unaware that they can handle that much "pulling down force".

Happy New Year!!

George

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    The only issue I can think of would be transfer of vibration up into the living space.
    My air cleaner hangs on 4 chains with a spring on each chain to take care of the vibration.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute