Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: Headboard - Nightstand Combo for simple platform bed

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    What a great application for pocket screws! I think that is one of the most under utilized joinery methods in woodworking today. I would hate to think of how long it would take to make all those M&T joints.
    Yes, the ability to temporarily join for a variety of reasons was very useful in this project. Using M&T, either with traditional tenons, loose tenons or "modern" version of the latter with a Festool Domino may have some strength benefits for certain types of stresses, but I don't think that's a factor for something like this headboard. "Easy" is a nice thing! (I do plan on acquiring a Domino this year; probably the larger one as I have a few projects on my "list" that can benefit from it)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Very nice work. I like your finish and the way you mounted the bead board. I have been planning a similar project and was going to house the bead board in a dado. (no arch in my design) Now I think your method is easier and better.
    Yes, using a rebate like this has the distinct advantage of making the bead board removable should a different paint color be required in the future. Think of it as being similar to a T&G back of a cabinet, such as a sideboard/hutch. You want that T&G to be able to float and for ease of finishing the casework, you want it "not installed" while you're doing that dye/stain/top-coating work, especially if you are spraying and/or leaving the back either natural or colored differently from the casework. The armoire project I mentioned and linked to earlier in this thread was a good example of that. The case was completely finished before the bead board in the back was installed. My next "big" project will be a somewhat tall hutch for our dining area (about 9' total) and the back of the upper hutch will be done the same way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

really nice headboard, I have been looking at some king headboards and really wanted to make one myself... I believe I could do this one Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Cox View Post
    really nice headboard, I have been looking at some king headboards and really wanted to make one myself... I believe I could do this one Thanks...
    Floyd, this kind of project is approachable by most skill levels of woodworkers in all honesty. The only "critical" thing is determining how it has to mount to a particular bet setup and designing up from that. That's the only place where you have to be exact with your measurements and you can sketch out ideas for the remainder to come up with what works for the situation and the style you want.
    --

Jim, slightly offtrack, but I noticed the Noden AdjustaBench legs. Looks like you made your own top and base. How are you liking that setup?
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Jim, slightly offtrack, but I noticed the Noden AdjustaBench legs. Looks like you made your own top and base. How are you liking that setup?
    Love the bench setup entirely. The top and stretchers actually came from Geoff when I bought the AdjustaBench. I picked it up from his NJ shop. I then drilled the top for my dog holes (and re-drilled them again because i screwed up big-time...there's a thread or two about that here somewhere LOL) and mounted my vice from Lee Valley. Height-adjustability for a bench is EXTREMELY useful. I wouldn't want to be without it at this point.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Love the bench setup entirely. The top and stretchers actually came from Geoff when I bought the AdjustaBench. I picked it up from his NJ shop. I then drilled the top for my dog holes (and re-drilled them again because i screwed up big-time...there's a thread or two about that here somewhere LOL) and mounted my vice from Lee Valley. Height-adjustability for a bench is EXTREMELY useful. I wouldn't want to be without it at this point.
    Thanks Jim. And I thought those walnut plugs were decorative . I'll look for the bench thread. I need to bootstrap a shop/benches, and this kind of setup seems like a good way to start. I was thinking of an MFT style top. I think the maple table top is too thick for Festool clamps, which are really handy.
    Mark McFarlane

They're poplar plugs, but yea...they serve as a clear reminder to "measure thrice"...
    --