Thread: Second Shaker style endtable in cherry

Second Shaker style endtable in cherry

This spring I posted pictures of a cherry end table that I made in the Shaker style. I just finished the second one of a pair. The first one was made from boards that were mostly flatsawn, and this second one was all from a single board that was more quartersawn to riftsawn. The dimensions are the same but the grain gives the two tables different personalities. Here they are together. The newer one (in foreground) has not had a chance to darken as much as its pair, but they should even out a bit. My wife has expressed a preference for the more flatsawn one, and I like the other one, so I guess we know which side of the bed to put them on.
    IMG_1057 copy.jpg

Heres a front view. I beveled the underside of the top to give it a lighter look. A departure form the original design.

IMG_1060 copy.jpg

Just showing the panel construction of the drawers. I had some cedar boards lying around that had too much runout to use for guitar tops, so I made them into drawer bottoms. Cedar expands very little with seasonal changes when it its quartersawn like this, so it made it easy to account for expansion. You can also get a good sense of the differences in the tops of the two tables from this picture.

IMG_1058 copy.jpg

I cheated and used violin pegs for drawer pulls rather than making round ones. Another departure from the original, but I just like how they look.

IMG_1059 copy.jpg

IMG_1056 copy.jpg

IMG_1055 copy.jpg

Since this is the third table I made like this (first was a prototype out of the finest Home Depot pine), I sort of have a decent formula worked out for this design and am getting more comfortable with some of the fundamentals of furniture making. These are the first pieces of furniture I have made since high school shop, so it gave me a little experience with case work and drawers, so I am thinking of making a desk next. It worked out well making a prototype out of pine, so I will likely take the same route for a desk.

I always prefer the rift/qtr sawn pieces. I hate the cathedrals etc..always remind me of cheap red oak commercial furniture. IMHO...The rift/qtr here seems more elegant and precise. IMHO But it is grand you have 2 opinions in your household and you made 2 tables to fulfill those choices! great builds
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Those are very attractive. I too prefer the second one. Violin pegs as draw pulls? I like it!

Those are simply wonderful! Outstanding work!

What's really nice about this kind of design is how versatile it can be...no drawer; one drawer, two drawers, one drawer plus a shelf, etc. The design to accommodate all these variations doesn't change much other than where you might start your tapers on the legs. I have a dedicated jig I made years ago for a Thos Moser version of this table and have made it a number of times in different wood species. And the same design can stretch to be a hall table, etc.

I also like how you make a full scale prototype for the first one of something to fine tune things. That's prudent and not in any way wasteful, either. Pine or poplar can take a good finish very nicely which means that prototype effort isn't wasted...you can use, gift or sell the result.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-02-2016 at 4:11 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful work!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks, I like the straight grain of the more quarter sawn one a little better because it goes with the simple lines of the table and as Michelle said, it looks a little more elegant to me. It doesn't show up as well in the pictures, but the flat sawn one has considerable figure on the top, and my wife likes the way the figure looks under the varnish.

I like Shaker style tables. These are really likable. Fine workmanship. Unique knobs to set it all off. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Show us the pine desk, please! And tell us what tools you are using.

Mighty fine start to the new year Scott. Two great shaker style tables with a personnel touch. I bet most woodworkers would prefer the quarter sawn over the flat sawn, but the customer is always right.

Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Great idea on the violin pegs!

Blog Entries
    Just gorgeous. I think the proportions of this table are just divine, very nicely done.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Lovely work! Hard to believe they're the first you've made since high school. I wouldn't have guessed that. Thanks for posting them!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Gene, I'm still looking at plans for a desk, and at the rate I build, it may be a while before there is much to show. I want to do a slant top and I have some books that show measurements on some examples, but haven't settled on which one I want to build. I have seen some beautiful slant top builds on here, but I think I will do something fairly simple.

To make the delay worse, I just started building a ukulele this week. I was in the shop tonight bending the sides and enjoying the smells of the steaming sycamore.

This pair is perfect to me.
    I like that they have contrasting grain. The figure is great in both, and the finish really shows it off.

Those violin pegs are a clever touch.

I admire your aesthetic choices here. Elegant!

Very well done, your level of craftsmanship is a bit beyond mine...