Thread: Shooting Plane vs Mitter Trimmer

Shooting Plane vs Mitter Trimmer

Seems like the new dedicated shooting planes are very popular right now.
    Just wondering why not a miter trimmer for less $$$$$ ?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I believe a miter trimmer is specifically for a 45 deg cut. Shooting plane with a shooting board can do more angles and very often, used for 90 deg.

Blog Entries
    your talking roast beef and greek cheese here. totally different.

Miter trimmers like the bench top Lion can do any angle between 45 & 90 though they have hard stops for 45 & 90. Both will get you to the same place, the method is just different.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Seems like the new dedicated shooting planes are very popular right now.
    Just wondering why not a miter trimmer for less $$$$$ ?
    My answer is that a standard bench plane with a shooting board does a nice job, is cheaper than even the cheap miter trimmers, and can be used to square sides as well as ends. Plus I just don't need a large specialty tool cluttering up my bench top.

6. Miter trimmers are limited in width of cut. Otherwise, they are nicer to work with. For fitting picture frames and similar molding cuts, they are ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    Miter trimmers are limited in width of cut. Otherwise, they are nicer to work with. For fitting picture frames and similar molding cuts, they are ideal.
    They're also better suited to horizontal miter cuts than to verticals, as IIRC most miter trimmers are limited to a height of about 4". You ideally want a donkey's ear shooting board or something similar for verticals.

EDIT: I suppose that if you were really determined you could build a ramp attachment for a miter trimmer. Out of curiosity has anybody here done that?
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-02-2016 at 4:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    They're also better suited to horizontal miter cuts than to verticals, as IIRC most miter trimmers are limited to a height of about 4". You ideally want a donkey's ear shooting board or something similar for verticals.

EDIT: I suppose that if you were really determined you could build a ramp attachment for a miter trimmer. Out of curiosity has anybody here done that?

Like this?
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Top-...-Trimmer/G3043
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Yeah, like that.

I have and use both. My Lion is mostly a trim tool and does a beautiful job. Yes it can go between 45 & 90, but.........

My LN #9, with a shooting board gives me more of an ability to "tweak" a fit, for example by inserting a piece of paper at one end of the stock to throw the angle a whisker off 90.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.