Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas PM-11 Chisels Opinions

I reviewed the O1 version when they first were released, having spent time with the development of these chisels from conception to pre-production. The review article is here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...selReview.html

In regard to the arrises ...

Preparing the blade
    The first task I would recommend is to remove some of the carefully manufactured minimal lands. These extend the full length of the shoulder, which is unnecessary. Veritas have left them for the user to modify as preferred. No doubt others have discovered, as I did, that sharp lands cut fingers!

The minimal lands are exceptionally useful when dovetailing, to avoid bruising the edges of the dovetails, especially with small dovetails where there is too little room to skew the blade ..

It is important to retain the first 1” from the bevel with the existing sharp edge. From that point back, use a fine diamond plate to smooth over the sharp edge. A few swipes should do the job.

Regards from Edinburgh (heading to Yorkshire)

Derek

I have 4 of the PMV11 chisels and they are great. I had a set if Narex chisels, and for the money, they are fantastic. But the balance and edge retention in the new ones is so good, i have never regretted the transition. Gave the Narex to a buddy starting out.
    Paul

Just a quick note on sharp lands - this can occur on any chisel when the back is lapped. I have been cut many times by an edge at 90, and sharp. You will not harm a chisel easing sharp edges away from the cutting bevel.

Our lands are at a minimum thickness - which makes it easy for the end user to develop whatever geometry they want. It is far more difficult for a user to reduce lands, than increase them !

Cheers -

Rob
    (who has Veritas, Narex, Mifer, Berg, Japanese, and LN chisels..... )
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 01-05-2016 at 8:49 PM.

Rob. You just have waaaayyy to many chisels. Some day.
    As far as the PMV11. I don't own any myself. Shhhhhh.....I have some newer Stanley 750s and a couple of LN A2s, but I am quite familiar with the Thompson PMv10 Lathe tools and have been quite happy with them. So I could only guess on the worth of the PMV11.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Rob. You just have waaaayyy to many chisels. Some day.
    As far as the PMV11. I don't own any myself. Shhhhhh.....I have some newer Stanley 750s and a couple of LN A2s, but I am quite familiar with the Thompson PMv10 Lathe tools and have been quite happy with them. So I could only guess on the worth of the PMV11.
    As was pointed out to me when i drew a similar comparison, there is a huge difference between pm-v11 and cpm-10v. cpm-10v is a high-vanadium steel with high carbide content (though low carbide size - that's what "PM" buys you). As such it's notoriously difficult to work or sharpen (see Derek's test for example).

pm-v11 is a much easier working high-chromium (and therefore stainless or stain-resistant) alloy. IMO it's an extremely good choice for chisels and planes.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-06-2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Add link to Derek's test with cpm-10v

Ah. Thanks Patrick. Some times my ignorance amazes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Ah. Thanks Patrick. Some times my ignorance amazes me.
    Thank whomever it was that corrected me (Kees I think) - I was similarly ignorant. Veritas didn't help matters by choosing a name that's so similar to the ones Crucible had long been using for their series of high-Vanadium PM tool steels. The one with 11% Vanadium is named CPM-11V...

http://www.pm-v11.com/Story.aspx

The web site says that "PM" stands for "Powdered Metal", but, I have also heard it stated that the full name is related to a bit of "in house fun". Apparently Rob Lee spilled the beans on some forum somewhere (Derek Cohen mentioned this), but I have not found where or what this might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

The web site says that "PM" stands for "Powdered Metal", but, I have also heard it stated that the full name is related to a bit of "in house fun". Apparently Rob Lee spilled the beans on some forum somewhere (Derek Cohen mentioned this), but I have not found where or what this might be.
    Agreed that PM is "powdered metal[lurgy]".

All of their competitors figured out exactly what it was the day the first tools hit the open market, and at least one individual has done XRF analysis and knows as well. My money is (now) on CTS-XHP as Kees suggested. With that said there are some other PM AISI 440C derivatives out there that also look like reasonable candidates.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-06-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Look up Spinal Tap.

Regards from Yorkshire

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Look up Spinal Tap.

Regards from Yorkshire

Derek
    OK, I almost soiled myself when I finally figured it out..... Thanks for the hint. I had seen that before and totally forgotten about it.

Blog Entries
    Since you asked about bench chisels, I can chime in. Like most folks, I have a variety of chisels including PM-V11 bench and butt chisels. As mentioned, I eased the edges after noticing little slices on my index finger . . . I didn't even realize I held the chisel like that. At any rate a quick run with a stone in the area you may handle that edge solves that.

Like others have mentioned, I find myself reaching for the PM-V11 as a go-to. I keep my chisels sharp and ready to go for the most part so I have a god feel for how much work of what type I get out of a given tool before sharpening or a touch up is required. The PM-V11, as advertised, keeps its edge many times longer than any other chisels I have.

Does this mean my other chisels fall into disuse? Certainly not. I will however grab a PM-V11 for exceptionally hard material over others unless I don't happen to have the profile I am after.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Look up Spinal Tap.

Regards from Yorkshire

Derek
    Wow, I can't believe I missed such an obvious "up to 11" joke. Must be going senile at 44...

OK, I almost soiled myself when I finally figured it out..... Thanks for the hint. I had seen that before and totally forgotten about it.
    [long pause indicating deep thought].....but these ones go to eleven!