Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MS Windows 10 Nag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Windows 10 has a lot more hooks into Microsoft services where you can pay them a subscription fee for that service if you want more than the basics. I believe that is the reason they want everyone on Windows 10.
    If you do a "Custom" install, you can turn a lot of that junk off.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    If you do a "Custom" install, you can turn a lot of that junk off.
    A lot of people are too stupid or lazy to do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Windows 10 has a lot more hooks into Microsoft services where you can pay them a subscription fee for that service if you want more than the basics. I believe that is the reason they want everyone on Windows 10.
    That and they don't want to have to produce and test updates & patches for 3 different Windows versions - 7, 8.1 & 10. I'm no Microsoft fan but I can understand that.

Microsoft has already obligated itself to support Windows 7 until January 2020 so I'm not sure how giving out Windows 10 for free helps their support obligation.

The general public pretty much expects new releases of OSes to be free now. Android, IOS, OSX, and Linux all provide free upgrades.

A word of caution. Windows 10 farms a ton of data from the unwary. I would not upgrade without a ton of compelling reasons to, and a complete understanding of the personal info you are giving Redmond.

besides, the best upgrade of windows is to Linux. :-) (sorry, had to say it.)
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    ......besides, the best upgrade of windows is to Linux. :-) (sorry, had to say it.)
    Just a question, cause I really don't know. Does Sketchup run on Linux? I suspect that it does not. I am afraid that would be a deal breaker for me.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-05-2016 at 4:57 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Just a question, cause I really don't know. Does Sketchup run on Linux? I suspect that it does not. I am afraid that would be a deal breaker for me.
    I know there was an earlier version of it that was ported to Linux. I don't know if it is still being ported, though. Apparently, some folks got it running in WINE.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I still have the windows icon in the tray....
    You can elimninate this by uninstalling Microsoft update KB3035583

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    You can elimninate this by uninstalling Microsoft update KB3035583
    and to prevent it reappearing change update settings so they are not automatic, run windows update manually and "hide" the update. MS is quite pushy about promoting windows 10. Since its a data miner and a platform for streaming audio and video the nature of an "OS" has changed at least in the eyes of MS.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I know there was an earlier version of it that was ported to Linux. I don't know if it is still being ported, though. Apparently, some folks got it running in WINE.
    https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=1815

Blog Entries
    Turn it off here:

Capture.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

No Glenn, that's way too easy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney