Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multimeter recommendations please :)

I had a reasonable Greenlee multimeter that I liked. It started to show strange readings for AC voltage, but would show correct if I reversed the leads. I finally threw it away, but after this thread I wonder if it was just the battery?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Farra View Post
    Reliability for me = accuracy and functionally reliability. I'm not an electrician, but I do occasionally replace outlets, switches, and wall fixtures in my house. I also tinker with cars a lot. So I want a meter that I can rely on the show my AC and DC readings to ensure that I have power, have no power when switched off, have power again after my work....whether its 110v AC or 12v DC.
    If all you're doing is home wiring checks, then all you need is one of these:
    100-to-250V-AC-DC-Voltage-Tester.jpg
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    If all you're doing is home wiring checks, then all you need is one of these:
    100-to-250V-AC-DC-Voltage-Tester.jpg
    I'll go a step further and recommend staying away from any high impedance type tester for the DIYer home wiring tester. If you don't need to read ohms or amps, I highly recommend a solenoid style tester, even experienced electricians. They are very rugged, much simpler and straightforward to use and understand for most users. This style tester will not give false readings like multimeters and/or neon style testers can. You can get models that only register voltage, or you can get one that also checks continuity.

solenoid_voltage_tester.jpgs-l1000.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid_voltmeter

You can get models that only register voltage, or you can get one that also checks continuity.
    That makes excellent sense, especially for basic go/no-go shop and house checks. The solenoid would require current and eliminate the false readings from "stray" or induced voltages. I like the old light bulb method too! (for 120v)

Your suggestion would be perfect for most needs. I believe the OP needed to check low-voltage DC also which so he would also need a good multimeter in his kit.

I do like to check with a high impedance meter when debugging, along with other tools as needed, including a scope for tricky noise problems. (Ran into that recently - it's surprising how much high frequency noise some of today's lights inject into ac wiring)

BTW, my favorite tool for continuity is still the 40-year-old "buzz" box (the electronic, not the buzzer coil type). Unlike the continuity mode on many digital meters, the sound is both instant and gives an idea of how solid the connection is.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That makes excellent sense, especially for basic go/no-go shop and house checks. The solenoid would require current and eliminate the false readings from "stray" or induced voltages. I like the old light bulb method too! (for 120v)

Your suggestion would be perfect for most needs. I believe the OP needed to check low-voltage DC also which so he would also need a good multimeter in his kit.

I do like to check with a high impedance meter when debugging, along with other tools as needed, including a scope for tricky noise problems. (Ran into that recently - it's surprising how much high frequency noise some of today's lights inject into ac wiring)

BTW, my favorite tool for continuity is still the 40-year-old "buzz" box (the electronic, not the buzzer coil type). Unlike the continuity mode on many digital meters, the sound is both instant and gives an idea of how solid the connection is.

I couldn't agree more John. I work as the master of records at a local State University, but I also still get out and about with the tools quite often. My tool bag weighs around 40-50 lbs., and it is strapped to a folding 2-wheeled cart. In that bag is a Fluke #179, a clamp-on accessory ammeter, and an Ideal solenoid style tester. Additionally I have an inductive voltage tester in my shirt pocket for quick checks. I also have a megger in my van, and a Fluke 4-channel scope meter back at the shop. I use my 179 primarily for troubleshooting electronics, frequency drives, measuring temperatures, etc. The simplest tool that will do the task at hand, is usually the best tool for that particular job.