Thread: Changing Computer Types

Changing Computer Types

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have long used PC based computers for my Sketchup projects. By the way, I am not a professional, a hobbyist. I do have a large database of Sketchup files which I want to keep and use as needed. If I switch to an Apple computer of some flavor will I be able to easily convert my PC based Sketchup files to the new Apple based Sketchup? A second question is: are the PC based and Apple based Sketchup programs both similar in use and capability?

There'll be nothing to convert. SketchUp on the Mac will open your existing SKP files with no problem. The two platforms are similar in operation although the modifier keys for tools are different for some operations. The toolbars are handled differently, though so things will look dramatically different in the GUI. Toolbars don't dock to the top or sides but instead are always floating. There's one row of tools across the top and you can customize that row but all other toolbars will be afloat.

I use SketchUp on both the PC and the Mac. I generally prefer the GUI on the PC for the docking toolbars and the utility windows, especially in SU2016 with the tray on the right side but as for drawing, it's a horse apiece.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-04-2016 at 9:33 AM.