Thread: where to buy a Kinshiro cutting gauge

where to buy a Kinshiro cutting gauge

I canīt seem to find any
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Tools from Japan has something similar. I think that the Kinshiro one is not made anymore.

Kinshiro no longer makes marking gauges. They can still be found, but are pricey. Try contacting So-San, at Japan-tool.com. He may still have some. You can also look into Mitsui marking gauges. They are also excellent, and also expensive. Toolsfromjapan.com carries some Mitsui gauges. Also try JapanTool-iida.com.

Blog Entries
    Suzuki tool has the matsui gauges as well.

I have a Matsui and a Kinshiro, the Kinshiro has a certain appeal because of the quality and because it's handmade, but the Matsui is an incredible gauge, all things considered it is par on quality of the dai with a minor exception that the mortise is not a through mortise. The blades are ground precisely and their is a magnet inserted in the dai to help things remain in place when you are setting the gauge.

The Kinshiro has hollows ground into the backs of the blades and has a nicer (in my opinion) knurled thumbscrew.

If you can find a Kinshiro you will pay double the price of the Matsui.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-04-2016 at 9:08 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    Kinshiro no longer makes marking gauges. They can still be found, but are pricey. Try contacting So-San, at Japan-tool.com. He may still have some. You can also look into Mitsui marking gauges. They are also excellent, and also expensive. Toolsfromjapan.com carries some Mitsui gauges. Also try JapanTool-iida.com.
    David. How can you tell if the gauge is made by Kinshiro. I am assuming he has a distinctive makers mark.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-04-2016 at 9:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    David. How can you tell if the gauge is made by Kinshiro. I am assuming he has a distinctive makers mark.
    I do not own a Kinshiro gauge, but you will see his name 金四郎, stamped into the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    I do not own a Kinshiro gauge, but you will see his name 金四郎, stamped into the gauge.
    Thanks David. I purchased this 2nd hand Mortise Gauge back in 10/2014. No makers mark so I can discount it as been Kinshiro.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Stewie, the middle gauge here is a Kinshiro

Thanks Brian.

Brian, how do you like the Hamilton gauge. I find Matsui a bit fiddly to setup for regular marking unless I am marking mortices. I like to fine tune by tapping the gauge against the bench and having two blades makes a bit fiddly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Stewie, the middle gauge here is a Kinshiro

Blog Entries
    That last one is from Blue Spruce. Works quite well for me, I like to use it in cross grain situations since it has a rounded edge.

Matsui makes another type of gauge where you can lock the blades together. I cant say much about it, having never used it, but I can say I'm tempted to pick one up and add it to the pile (hard to have too many marking gauges).