Thread: Moisture barrier for Hanging Tool Cabinet?

Moisture barrier for Hanging Tool Cabinet?

Hi Guys, was looking for opinions/experience regarding adding some sort of moisture barrier to my wall hanging tool cabinet I am building. I live about 3 miles from the ocean and my shop is in my garage. Things rust fairly quickly if they are not protected. I purchased a couple of desiccant containers that I plan on setting inside the cabinet for when the doors are closed. Should I added some sort of moisture barrier, or if the intersections between the doors and cabinet are fairly close, don’t bother. If moisture barrier is recommended any suggestions short of the typical weather stripping found at the hardware store, something more subtle perhaps?
    Thanks
    Mark

You might look at something like this - not to seal the cabinet but to prevent the condensation that causes rust. It's basically a small heating element that keeps the inside of your cabinet a degree or two above the ambient. Moisture can't condense if the "thing" is warmer than the air.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FRFSIM

I have to share an embarrassing story about a wall unit I made to hang up my hand planes years ago. I put together a nice box and finished it with some polyurethane finish that I had left over from another project. That project was an oak floor repair. Water-based polyurethane. After the finish dried, I hung up the units and installed my planes. The next day, I took one of the planes down and discovered <<gasp>> Rust!! Affected several of my tools. Lesson learned: water-based polyurethane has water. Let it dry completely, maybe wax it and then wait a bit before putting your precious tools inside.

Thanks Marty and Floyd! I checked out the heating element, not sure it will work with the cabinet as designed. Will have to think about that. Wow, good heads up Floyd, I'm sure that was a "surprise"
    Mark

http://www.rockler.com/zerust-no-rus...-vapor-capsule

No personal experience with this product but it seems to fit the bill for you and worth a try considering how cheap it is.

I use a goldenrod. Works great.
    Paul

Thanks Hoang for the suggestion.
    Paul, can the goldenrod be placed directly on a wood surface or is it too hot? Does it stay at one temperature regardless of the ambient. Do you have to provide deliberate places for air movement in and out at the bottm and top of the cabinet? What happens in the summer when you have 100 degree temp with humidity?
    Thanks
    Mark

Just a thought, but would it also help to "air seal" the cabinet doors/openings with foam or rubber stripping to keep any outside air from getting in?

Thanks Mike for the input!!
    Mark

Hi Marty, I took your advice and ordered a Goldenrod for the tool cabinet. I haven't received it yet and am trying to redesign my cabinet in progress. I tried to find dimensions other than the length online without success. Can anyone tell me, when mounted on the brackets, the final height and depth (again I know the length) so I can figure out what I can move or revise?

Mark,

I know you already made your choice, and it seems to be the right one. I do want to emphasize Marty's post just for posterity.

Rust on tools is caused by fast temperature swings. Our metal tools change temperature more slowly than air changes temperature. So when the air goes from cold to warm, the tools stay cold much longer. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air. So when the warm air hits your cold tool, it cools the air and that air loses its moisture in the form of condensation on your tool.

So constant temperature of air (and consequently, your tools) is key. That's the principle behind why the golden rod works... It's just a heater. And if you keep your cabinet doors close, it confines the space and allows the heater to control the temp much better.

But since you live near the ocean, the salt in the air that results from evaporated ocean spray settles on all of your surfaces. Salt alone won't corrode your tools, but if you add condensation, the salt will cause faster corrosion.

The point is the same though- constant temperatures will eliminate condensation, so the salt won't ever get a chance to work its magic. So it's key to keep your cabinets closed and relatively sealed, with the golden rods. That said, given the salt issue, when you touch your tools, the moisture could activate the salt and cause corrosion. So even with the golden rods and sealed cabinets, you will have to keep your tools waxed and/or oiled more than the rest of us.

Anyway, sorry if I'm telling you what you already know, but thought this could be helpful.

Hi Peter, Thanks for the very insightful information. I think it helps to think it through occasionally and remind oneself about the science. It reminded me that the salt will still be there and that I still need to take precautions.
    Thanks
    Mark

Hi guys, I have finished building the my tool cabinet and have the golden rod heating device installed. I have tried to contact the company for this question with no response. I was wondering if one of you may be able to answer my question. Does the device need to be on 24-7 or just when it is cold and damp. It seems unnecessary when it is warm in the shop (unheated garage). Keep in mind that I live near the ocean so I still have salt and humidity. If temp is a major component at what temperature might one set as a threshold before turning on the device. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Hi guys, I have finished building the my tool cabinet and have the golden rod heating device installed. I have tried to contact the company for this question with no response. I was wondering if one of you may be able to answer my question. Does the device need to be on 24-7 or just when it is cold and damp. It seems unnecessary when it is warm in the shop (unheated garage). Keep in mind that I live near the ocean so I still have salt and humidity. If temp is a major component at what temperature might one set as a threshold before turning on the device. Thanks!
    It only draws 18 watts; I'd just leave it plugged in all the time and not worry about it. The purpose of the heater is to keep the air inside the cabinet slightly warmer than ambient, which will prevent condensation. It doesn't matter what the ambient temperature is - if the humidity is right you can get condensation any time a surface is lower than the ambient temp.

That would be easier. Think I will just do that Thanks for the advice!
    Mark