Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is face frame always proud of the case?

Blog Entries
    My comment resides around the curiosity of how this structure will be built. It's a freestanding piece, correct?

Two of you now seem to find this question off putting. If it's out of bounds then I apologize.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    My comment resides around the curiosity of how this structure will be built. It's a freestanding piece, correct?

Two of you now seem to find this question off putting. If it's out of bounds then I apologize.
    Not out of bounds (or even off-putting), but unclear in terms of addressing the OP's question.

In other words, if the structure were to be built with frame-and-panel construction, would that affect whether or not the face frame extended beyond the sides?

Blog Entries
    It doesnt address the OP's question, and I would tend to agree that flush is the way to go.

I'm just wondering about the approach, with a freestanding cabinet, would it not make more sense to build frame and panel, especially for one that will be 7' tall and hold glass/plates/ect.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Brian, I don't find it off-putting at all. If I came off that way, I sincerely apologize.
    Maybe my confusion starts with me not knowing what is meant by frame and panel. The only thing that comes to mind is that it might describe a cabinet door with a floating panel inside a frame. But that didn't make much sense to me in the context of the OP's question. I think what he is asking about is the hardwood frame around the cabinet carcass that you would then attach the doors to. I am just confused about what you are asking. Probably my own ignorance about the term frame and panel.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It's more professional to flush the frames.... even better if mitered if you can manage it. Particularly for stained or other visible wood grain finishes. If you do overhangs, you piece will look like you bought it from cheapo depot.

For a typical cabinet it is the consensus that the face frames be flush. I think that's a question of style. I think for a 'country' look the face frame overlapping the sides by about 1/8" is perfectly fine. For a modern look go flush. Other styles have their own attributes. I personally think what you have planned could look great either way. A country hutch I'm just finishing has the 1/8" overlay. I obviously disagree with comments about the look being unprofessional.

I flush, but chamfer/round over 1/16 where the faceframe meets the end panel. I prefer the look much better than sanding flush, plus no risk of sanding thru veneer.
    -Lud

Flush is the way to go especially in the case that you are wrapping the cabinet top and bottom with moldings. As has been said the non flush thing is a mass production way of getting things to look right without much fuss. What a pain to apply molding to those properly.

On the subject of frame and panel option - good question because with a frame and panel the face frame styles could be mitered to the side frames for a very nice look and solid construction. In the case of flat panels sides (read - plywood) the front face frame would typically (as I build cabinetry) be applied as a separate item flush to the sides.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 01-24-2016 at 1:25 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge