Hopefully, I posted this in the correct forum. I could use a little advice regarding window glazing. I decided last weekend to finally do an overhaul of my only two wooden storm windows. Each is about 5ft x 3ft with 6 panes each and, have been in need of re-glazing and a strip/repaint for quite a long time.

I heat gunned and scraped the outsides and removed all the glazing, then power sanded the outside and insides, except for the inside window moldings.

I noticed during my window flipping and sanding that now some of the panes have broken away from their inside glazing set, but not all the way around. I debated about removing these panes to reset them, but broke the first pane I attempted and decided to seek some advice.

So, first question is … will I regret not resetting any panes that come loose from the inside setting in places around the perimeter? And if so, is there a technique to limit the pane breakage?

Second, I haven’t done any window glazing in quite a few years and as I remember I wasn’t very good at making it look decent. A web search for technique didn’t provide much information other than spraying the laid glazing with Windex before attempting the final smoothing/shaping(?). Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I vaguely remember reading/hearing something about wiping the inside wood with something (water, blo, ?) prior to applying the glaze?

And lastly, I haven’t prepared the inside window moldings for new paint yet. I didn’t want to hand sand and possibly scratch the panes and was thinking about using one of those liquid deglossers just prior to applying the primer. Any thoughts?

Tom