Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slider Questions

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Also go the airtightclamps.com and look at the pneumatic clamps. Felder makes some too but I think the Airtight are more flexible. Not cheap but if you are into a new Felder you are used to that. Dave

These are the clamps I mentioned in your other thread. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post
    I think Felder offers an optional / shorter miter bar at that end. It sits on top of the short extension I highlighted in my original post. I'll certainly be adding that option. Ugh... options options options.... I'm going to need to cut this off soon..... :-)
    "Options" is Felder's middle name... Buy when you must and build when you can. Some of this stuff can get pretty darn expensive to buy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    In my opinion, yes. It is standard with with all Minimax panel-length sliders, by the way. Not sure about other vendors...

Regarding overhead saw guards and speaking only for my customers, most with 315mm saws don't order that option. It's standard (required) on any saw over 350mm but from a usability standpoint, I don't it necessarily better or faster than the regular plastic guard.

Erik
    Erik,

Do you have any more photos or details on this parallel guide setup? It looks like an Incra LS or something very similar..

i think its a jointech which is very similar to incra. think jointech went under but you could just as easily use the incra.

on my martin i have the martin outrigger - just an arm that hangs off the slider and supports sheets. works fine. certainly helpful when manipulating full sheets, alone.

i'm curious how you guys use the rip fence during sheet break-down operations. i find myself rarely (if ever) ripping with the rip fence, but rather i pull it back and use it as a stop for a measurement, but not to register against for a cut.

i kinda wish some of you experts would put a video camera on your saw during an hour-or-so breakdown operation, just to share technique....

--- dz

there are a couple of short videos on the airtight clamp site that show him breaking down some sheet goods. i do it similar to the way he does in the videos. i don't really use my rip fence for much of anything. with the parallel ripping guides and the fritz and franz jig really no need for it. i've heard of some adjusting the rip fence to the same trajectory as the slider so it can be used as a stop. this method how ever would cause binding on the back of the blade if you ever tried using by itself very likely causing kickback. felder has some videos of sliders being used to build a couple of projects out of solid lumber. the techniques would apply to any saw/shaper units.

I also rarely use the rip fence for breaking down sheet goods...or even ripping solid stock that's wider than about 4".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    Erik,

Do you have any more photos or details on this parallel guide setup? It looks like an Incra LS or something very similar..
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    i think its a jointech which is very similar to incra. think jointech went under but you could just as easily use the incra.
    Yes, it's the (now defunct) Jointech Clincher but as David said, the Incra LS should be able to do the exact same thing. It is mounted to the OEM steel side table for the slider. Mounting holes were drilled into the steel table to secure it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Yes, it's the (now defunct) Jointech Clincher but as David said, the Incra LS should be able to do the exact same thing. It is mounted to the OEM steel side table for the slider. Mounting holes were drilled into the steel table to secure it.

Erik
    The Incra LS sounds like a heck of an idea, once zeroed to the blade it is the most accurate setup.
    Only they are so darn expensive.

It's the modified digital stop that get my attention. I'm working on my own versions. Dave

Had my eye on those too Dave.
    Thing about the LS positioner, is that it is only 17". Not sure that would be adequate or not.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    Had my eye on those too Dave.
    Thing about the LS positioner, is that it is only 17". Not sure that would be adequate or not.
    The Incra LS is available in 17", 25" and 32".
    http://www.incra.com/router_table_fe...ositiners.html

Thanks for the correction. Man those are pricey...

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    Thanks for the correction. Man those are pricey...
    Buy something "Aigner"...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I've been always wondering if we can just use two crosscut fences, regular one at the tail of the sliding table and the other with the outrigger. Of course the length of the stock would be limited to the separation of the two crosscut fences, but the crosscut stops could be accurately calibrated...