Thread: When a salad bowl becomes a fruit bowl...

When a salad bowl becomes a fruit bowl...

Two years ago we took down a number of trees to make space for our barn. The oak ended up as firewood that's keeping us warm right now but I kept log lengths of a wild cherry and a bit of birch. This piece of cherry started out as a salad bowl that I turned green last year. It sat in a box of shavings for the next 13 months, lost about 2.4 lbs of water (8.5 lbs to 6.1 lbs) warped and had some checking. Being the first time I had put a bowl away, I still wanted to see what I could learn from turning it. My tool rests did not allow me to comfortably get close enough to the bottom so, using my Nova DVR XP, I was able to rotate the head and use my outrigger for the first time. That solved one issue but the checking was sufficient that when I finally got it thin enough, checking near the rim made me decide to reduce the height and make it into a fruit bowl.
    IMG_0969.jpgP1000491.jpgP1000490.jpg

The inside of the bowl was sanded to 1000 and has a single coat of U Beaut Shellawax Cream. Exterior started with the same but I then sanded it with 1200 and added a 2nd coat since I decided to rework the bottom slightly. After doing more reading of older posts, I'm a bit concerned how the finish will hold up. Momma already has it sitting on the kitchen counter filled with avocados and pears. C & C very welcome! Thanks.
    P1000479.jpgP1000480.jpgP1000482.jpgP1000484.jpg
    Last edited by john snowdon; 01-10-2016 at 2:14 PM.

Looks like you have made a very nice looking bowl. allan
    C&C WELCOME

I like it ,but not sure of what I'm seeing. One pic looks like it doesn't have a bottom,is the bottom a separate piece? Got it now ,that's the piece that was removed.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-10-2016 at 3:43 PM. Reason: Problem is "sol-ved "

John, nice save! Well done.

Thank you, gentlemen. It's really nice to actually use free wood plus I'm learning just how useful a vacuum chuck can be!

Cheers,

John

Nice bowl, John. Good idea to change the design for a good save.