Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Kapex

Festool Kapex

Some time back, I posted in someone's thread that I was getting a Kapex. I got it and have it installed.

First, I tried hooking it to my shop dust collection system but the 36mm hose seemed to constrict the amount of air and dust collection was not very good. So I went to Home Depot and found a Ridgid vacuum that they had as an "open box", missing the hoses and ends. That was perfect for me because I would not have used them anyway. They gave me a significant discount on it.

With that connected to the Kapex, the dust collection is better, but there's still a good bit of swarf that doesn't get collected. I built a shelf to put the vacuum on because there was no other place for it. I'll just have to remember to get up there and check if the vacuum is full occasionally.

Overall, the dust collection is better than with my old miter saw, because I would use the old saw without turning the DC on. On this one, I have one of those devices that turns the vacuum on whenever I start up the Kapex.

In the spirit of "No picture, didn't happen" I'm attaching a picture of the saw and the vacuum.

Mike

Kapex01.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-11-2016 at 9:09 AM. Reason: Wrong hose size - corrected
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike

Very nice! The Kapex is a sweet machine. Nice work station you have for it also.
    Is the shroud around it purpose built for the machine, or was it for what you used to have?

PS
    Intersting storage solution for extraction super frames.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks for your comments, Mike. The shroud was built for my previous saw. Since I wasn't religious about using the DC, it spit out a lot of swarf. The Kapex is much better.

Yes, I had to find some place to store those frames and the light fixture seemed like it would work

Mike

BTW, if anyone who lives in this area is interested in a very nice Bosch 12" miter saw, let me know.
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-10-2016 at 9:33 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Its too late now to save you the vac purchase, but ....
    First, you want the hose to attach over the outside of the dust port on the saw, not inside it, for the best capture rate.
    Second, if you are getting marginal or unsatisfactory dust pick up, its probably your technique that needs adjusting on how you introduce the blade into the stock to perform the cut. On wide flat boards, drop the head lightly into the stock about 1/16" to 1/8", draw the saw level back to you, then drop the blade below the front edge and push the saw back at full depth.
    I can cut trim in a clients living room all day with this technique, and there is virtually no clean up to be done.
    Every other saw i have had required outside cutting- not beneficial in rain, blizzards, or sub zero temps.
    Just experiment a little.

I've been eyeing the Kapex for some time now and the wife hinted that she MIGHT get it for me on Fathers day..... (hopefully sooner)

How do you like the saw overall? Love to hear some feedback about the saw before it comes time for me to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    On wide flat boards, drop the head lightly into the stock about 1/16" to 1/8", draw the saw level back to you, then drop the blade below the front edge and push the saw back at full depth.
    Peter, it's not apparent to me why this technique leads to better dust collection. Can you provide more explanation?

Thanks, Brian
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    I've been eyeing the Kapex for some time now and the wife hinted that she MIGHT get it for me on Fathers day..... (hopefully sooner)

How do you like the saw overall? Love to hear some feedback about the saw before it comes time for me to get one.
    I'm going to post a video review in a few days, but ahead of that I'd say its the most disappointing Festool product I've used. It does make a very nice, very accurate cut, and the DC is better than any other miter saw I've used. But still I don't like the ergonomics, the build quality or the capacity of the saw. While the DC is good, its not on par with the DC on other Festools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    I'm going to post a video review in a few days, but ahead of that I'd say its the most disappointing Festool product I've used. It does make a very nice, very accurate cut, and the DC is better than any other miter saw I've used. But still I don't like the ergonomics, the build quality or the capacity of the saw. While the DC is good, its not on par with the DC on other Festools.
    Please do post a link to the video whenever you get around to it. I have a 12" Dewalt slider right now and while it's been good to me, I'm a fan of festool and would like to switch but don't need to waste $1500. I'll just apply it to a few sanders if it's as bad as you say.

I'd still like to hear from the OP about his review as well.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    First, you want the hose to attach over the outside of the dust port on the saw, not inside it, for the best capture rate.
    Yep, the hose attaches over the dust port, not inside. And the hose is approximately 36mm, not the 27mm hose. I doubt that the Festool vac sucks harder or more air than the Ridgid so I'm satisfied the Ridgid will work as well as a Festool vac on the Kapex.

I suppose I could reduce the non-collected swarf with a change in my technique, but the amount of non-collected is not too bad. I'll try your suggestions, however.

As Jim commented above, the dust collection is not on a par with other Festool products. Maybe it's just that it's very hard to do good dust collection on a miter saw. It certainly seems better than my Bosch miter saw.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-11-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    I've been eyeing the Kapex for some time now and the wife hinted that she MIGHT get it for me on Father's day..... (hopefully sooner)

I don't have a lot of time with it, but so far it seems to be a good, solid saw. I haven't run into any real performance issues with it yet. It's different so I just have to adjust to the way things are done on this saw (such as how to lock the miter location down - it's opposite from the Bosch). It's easy to adjust and use.

Probably the biggest "issue" is the cost - and the question of whether you can get another brand of saw that will do as good of a job for you. I got a deal on this one - paid a bit less than 70% of new cost - so it was hard to pass up. I don't think I would have bought it for full price.

I had a Bosch 12" non-slider before this and it is a good saw. It is accurate and powerful. The one thing I wanted was more cutting width and that meant a slider. I wanted to maintain the accuracy of the cut and that led me to the Kapex.

I'll try to post again after I get more use on it.

Mike

[I'll just add that I'm not a Festool fanboy. I have the 500 Domino, the 55 track saw and now the Kapex. I think the Domino is wonderful and the track saw works very well - but I don't have experience with the other brands of track saws. I had the Carvex jig saw and found I didn't use it much. I also had one of the Festool drills and it was no better than the DeWalt drills I have now. I've used Festool sanders and didn't think they were better than other sanders I've used. I've never used the Festool routers but, in just looking at them, I can't see anything about them that would make me convert from the routers I have now.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-11-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Most folks expect too much because of the price, it's a nice very accurate saw but it's not head and shoulders above the newer top end saws from the other major brands that we usually purchase.

On mine I like the controls, the clamping system, the portability and yes the very tight dual lasers which I have dialed in to where I like them. Dust control is what it is and may be very dependent on the type of cut and the 'suckage' available but since it's not a closed cutting operation there will be some dust... don't know how it would compare to the new saws by other but I do know it's a heck of a lot better than without hooking up the vac.

I've had mine since early 2010 and can't really complain because I knew the cut specs of the saw going in, what I was purchasing was something I figured I keep around for a great while.

If one goes to FOG you will find that there is a love/hate relationship with the saw, particularly hated by those who experienced dead saw problems.
    I would read about a problem, check for that problem and discover that mine was just fine. The one that concerns me is the dead saw thing since I'm out of warranty but no sleep is lost and not knowing the exact parameters leading up to a dead saw leads to speculation about the conditions and it's user.

On mine, the working surface is flat, the fence is square, the operation (with proper maintenance) is very smooth, virtually no 'play' in moving parts (including runout), I've experienced no more, no less kickback than the other multitude of saws I've used in this category, dust collection is there and serviceable, and it's been used a lot for cabinetry, trim out and some but not much heavy framing. It has not, however, been abused and new operators get a quick 'training session' to it's functions and proper technique for this type of saw.

The ergonomics do take some getting used to, I prefer the D handles on saws like DeWalt but with practice the Kapex becomes second nature, my old Makita had similar ergonomics so it was nothing new to me except for the additional lockout on the Kapex.

Blog Entries
    I have an old Makita 12" SCMS that is a very good saw, but probably the worst for dust collection. I build a surround, similar to your's, but with a roof on it as well. There is an 8" collector duct that connects to the top of the box & a 2" hose that taps off the collector duct & connects to the saw. Absolutely no dust escapes the surround. There is a small amount that accumulates on the bottom of the box, but I can just unplug the 2" hose & suck it up with that every few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Peter, it's not apparent to me why this technique leads to better dust collection. Can you provide more explanation?

Thanks, Brian
    Because by doing so, you use the airstream and force of the sawblade in conjunction with the vac-they work in unison. Just dropping the saw into the work at the fence doesnt allow this to happen to the same degree, it actually creates a cloud effect because the wind from the teeth hits the top of board, and bounces back up off the surface. Essentially like pitching and catching.
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 01-12-2016 at 10:24 AM.

I've used a Kapex as I was working side-by-side with my finisher. He had actually two (using one as spare parts). I think it is a nice saw but not much better (beyond the good DC) than other top end saws (I have the Milwaukee 12" slider). Having the controls in front and not taking as much space at the back (due to the rails) is good. However, it seems as a job-site saw the plastic components (especially the ones in the back) break far too easily. I witnessed one due to a kick back of a small piece hitting it.
    I have some Festool tools (TS75 track saw, domino, sander, etc), just for the record that I'm not a Festool hater....

Mike, Don't forget to download the supplemental manual from the Festool site:

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/...tal-Manual.pdf

Rob