Thread: How to lengthen high voltage wire on Chinese power supply?

How to lengthen high voltage wire on Chinese power supply?

I got a replacement RECI power supply but it came with a very short high voltage wire and two extra lengths of high voltage wire. I could solder the wires together but how do I effectively insulate the splice when dealing with such high voltages?

John Wang of Shenhui (who sold it at a lower price than direct from RECI) says, "And i dont sell this power supply usually. Kindly check the user manual of P12 power supply." (The manual is a one page pdf that does not mention the high voltage wire except in a small wiring diagram.)
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Light object do the correct insulated connectors @ $10
    You did what !

I stripped about 1/2" off each end and soldered together - not twisted. Then I wrapped, wrapped and wrapped some more with electrical tape until it was about as thick as a magic marker. It's been over a year, no problems.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Thanks guys! I've ordered the connector from LightObject. Until it comes, I think I'll do something like Rich did.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Blog Entries
    John,

Did you give any thought to using a cable stretcher? That way you dont break the insulation. They cost marginally more than those connectors Mr Sheldrake mentioned and can be used again and again. I wired my whole garage using a cable stretcher and 1 foot of 12 gauge Romex. You can get them from the same shops that sell Salt Water Taffy Pullers and Truth Stretchers. Though I did notice that Truth Stretchers are hard to find now. I assume that is due to Primary Season lasting for 2 years now.

Hope you two had a great holiday and didnt get too many snow days!!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I found a cable stretcher at the local auto parts store, right next to the metric crescent wrenches and muffler bearing grease. If anyone gets this I'll be impressed - they are also found at the px along with riser grease, canopy lights and keys to the dz.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    John,

Did you give any thought to using a cable stretcher? That way you dont break the insulation. They cost marginally more than those connectors Mr Sheldrake mentioned and can be used again and again. I wired my whole garage using a cable stretcher and 1 foot of 12 gauge Romex. You can get them from the same shops that sell Salt Water Taffy Pullers and Truth Stretchers. Though I did notice that Truth Stretchers are hard to find now. I assume that is due to Primary Season lasting for 2 years now.

Dave

Went through many rolls of this tape when making Picture Tubes for Sony... Great High Voltage tape...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

And cheaper than the cable stretcher!

I would use GTO wire the same as with my Neon signs

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    John,

Dave
    I have an attachment that snaps into my board stretcher for cable.

Well, reading this thread beats watching 500 pearl shells get engraved. And the best part is that pearl shells cannot catch fire!