Thread: CMS Work Station-Add RAS?

CMS Work Station-Add RAS?

I just picked up the Bosch 10" Glide CMS with a cutting capacity of ten inches. Soon I will be building a work station for the CMS. I also have a Craftsman radial arm saw that I don't use much. I appreciate thoughts regarding if I should incorporate the RAS into the work station with the CMS.

Thanks,
    EG

Hey Mr. G!
    As I'm in the process of setting up my new shop too, I debated that a long , I will be installing my 12" DeWalt CMS, a 16" DeWalt RAS (from the 40's) and a 10" DeWalt RAS (from the 80's). My use of the 16" RAS's will be to break down wide material, I don't plant o use it for really precise work. I plan to keep a dado stack in the 10" RAS for dedicated crosscutting dados. My intent is to have all 3 saws sit flush to the work surface and I envision a shared fence of some sort.
    I've never had a RAS in my shop before, so I'm guessing/hoping that I'll like their participation in my workflow. I've had a craftsman one given to me years ago, I used it very little, I never had space for it and at the time it didn't fit in my workflow.
    Cheers,
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Something similar to this?

IMG_3657.jpg

I'm happy with this setup. Dust collection comes down between the two and tee's off to each machine.

Mine would have been closer together if it weren't for the window.
    Dave....in Indiana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.

NYW miter saw station included one. That's what I will do when I build mine.

I have my Hitachi 12 inch non-slider setting next to my Ryobi RAS. I use the Hitachi for cuts within it's 8 inch crosscut capacity and the Ryobi for wider crosscuts and with a dado set for tenons in long boards. The fences are aligned and they will both get a flip stop outboard of the RAS when I get a chance to build it. On the other side is the router table which is the same height. I thought about starting over with a slider but what stopped me is the depth they need behind the fence for the sliding mechanism. I like my combo. I've used it for years and am pretty used to it.

Here is mine.PC260168.jpg P8150144.jpg PC260170.jpg PC260171.jpg

The Kreg Foreman is in line with the fence of the saws. The chop saw is mounted on dowels, it just lifts off for use outside. The Shop vac setup only serves the chop saw, the RAS is hooked to the DC.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-18-2016 at 12:12 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.