Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Sander

I finally tried out my "new" sander, from the 50's, its and industrial version of a Dremel / Foredom.
    It cleaned up in about 20 min and works great. With 4" discs on it, no problem

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 7.28.33 PM.jpg

Its hooked to a 1 hp, 3ph motor.
    Quite, torquey, can run all day and light

Also ordered this one, so I can change the angle up to 90d.
    Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 7.29.20 PM.jpg

so far I'm happy

Hey Reed

Seems my response got out of order somehow and I can't even find it.

Anyway, these flex shaft tools are all old and seem to have fallen out of fashion with the advent of small light power tools.
    Nevertheless, I think they offer some advantages: low weight, lots of torque, quiet, don't heat up, and potentially variable speed.

Currently I'm running mine at 1750 rpm's.

ALL of the newer ones I've found are either air powered (too fast IMO) or from another industry.
    Many are for aircraft maintenance. They have some REALLY cool stuff, but very expensive., possibly fantastic quality.

Newer domestic stuff is made by Terco or Suhner, sold as kits. Both are ~$3k ++++
    There's a KTS fish scaler - similar idea.
    There are some interesting manufactures still in India but seems like you need to order direct, which is a PITA. And they are still not cheap - its industrial grade stuff.

I got mine off eBay, old, used.
    There's a few manufacturers to look for.

Walker Turner had a large offering in the 50-60's. I think all theirs are straight, no change of angle at the head.
    And you don't need the whole machine, just the shaft and a motor of your choice. all long defunct, burt some are still around.
    I think these were made by Elwood Wyco.

More recent - Kett Tools. Thats the second one I posted. The flex shaft stuff is no longer in production, so used parts are the only option.
    I'm waiting for that to arrive and will try some 3-6" discs on it.

They are still in business and do still offer a small "drill saw", that maybe could be changed over to a sander. Haven't tried it.

Zephyr makes a small one that looks interesting, but I haven't tried it either. Looks like it should be good for 2-3" discs. Might be good for tight inside spots.

Miller Falls - made a lot of tools, a few of which are right angle attachments to flex shaft machines. Their 90d attachments look really tough. I have one of their shafts and its excellent.

There are few German variants I picked up at a garage sale locally for $30 but I don't have the names.
    That started my research, which obviously took me all over the map...

Don't confuse these units with Dremel or Foredom. Same idea, but MUCH beefier, excellent quality.
    These will drive a 6" grind stone all day long. Or....well....as long as your arms hold out.
    Last edited by Olaf Vogel; 02-04-2016 at 8:19 PM.

3. Michael - that's the Metabo that I own, I bought it based on some other reviews on sawmill creek. I really like it. The foam backing pads need replacement fairly often as they soften up and can't transfer force, also I've only seen pads in 3 inch while the sander head is 3.25 or so. Past that it's light, sturdy and hasn't hiccuped on me in the last year of heavy use. It does a great combination of removing wood and leaving a good surface. Since I've started using it I use almost only 120 and 240 with it, 120 on very spalted end grain with high tear out and 240 for the finish. Stepping up to 300 plus doesn't seem to improve the surface amazingly, although it might with harder woods.