Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Which smoothing plane

I also wear large or x-large gloves, but I don't have hams. I can use the tote on the #3 just fine, but I use a 3-finger pistol grip. The index finger just rides the side of the cutter assembly, the middle works the adjuster knob as necessary. If you hold them like this most will fit even a huge hand.

Stanley #2s seem to be the cutoff for most people, but I collect Millers Falls so I have two #7s, which fit great big hands surprisingly well with the same grip.

I agree with Patrick and Brian. If you need to smooth boards, then the 4-1/2 is extremely useful. I love my LN 4-1/2 and have no use for a 4. Dump the A-2 blade and get the O2 plain high carbon blade.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    I also wear large or x-large gloves, but I don't have hams. I can use the tote on the #3 just fine, but I use a 3-finger pistol grip. The index finger just rides the side of the cutter assembly, the middle works the adjuster knob as necessary. If you hold them like this most will fit even a huge hand. ...
    My problem is I started with bevel up planes, so the pistol grip just doesn't work for me. I ended up getting a Kunz+ #3:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The Veritas Custom planes offer three different sizes and two different types of handle for size 4, 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/2, 7 planes. A large handle in either style should fit large hands measuring over 4" across.

I bought the LV BUS plane a couple years ago and have been super happy with it as a smoother, however, if I had it to do over again, knowing what I now know, I would go for the SBUS instead as I think a smaller plane is much easier to handle. Noting wrong with the BUS, its just a tad bit heavy with a wider footprint than I need. It works very well on tabletops, etc where there is a larger surface to smooth. The PMV11 blade has been great. Holds and edge very well and cuts super clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I bought the LV BUS plane a couple years ago and have been super happy with it as a smoother, however, if I had it to do over again, knowing what I now know, I would go for the SBUS instead as I think a smaller plane is much easier to handle. Noting wrong with the BUS, its just a tad bit heavy with a wider footprint than I need. It works very well on tabletops, etc where there is a larger surface to smooth. The PMV11 blade has been great. Holds and edge very well and cuts super clean.
    I generally prefer bevel down planes but have considered the Small Bevel Up smoother just for small parts and trimming.

.....and yes, PMV 11 is awesome in holding an edge.

Blog Entries
    I have and use the Veritas BUS plane as my main smoother too. I have been thinking about buying one of the new custom #4 planes to get something a little smaller that I can adjust blade depth with on the fly. LV is now offering a custom Norris adjuster with extra fine threads, especially for those very precise adjustments. I am still interested in the small BU smoother though, especially after I just discovered how easy it is to hollow grind BU blades with my CBN wheel. I can come fairly close to adjusting depth on the fly with my BU planes as the two set screws on the sides of the iron keep them from moving to either side when I lighten up on the pressure cap. The custom planes offer the option of using a cap iron or not and with the ability to order a frog at any height.....LV isn't making decision making easy are they! I am liking all the PM-V11 plane blades sharpened with 30 degree hollow grinds. Very easy to maintain with minimal sharpening gear by hand.

I was trying to figure out how thick the blades on the new LV Custom planes are? I am not finding that information at the LV web site nor have I found it on any of the reviews. Derek did testing with the #4 custom & no chip breaker which might suggest they are fairly thick. I am guessing the blades are not as thick as the BU blades but thicker than the PM-V11 blades they make for Stanley type planes.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-12-2016 at 9:27 AM.

Derek did testing with the #4 custom & no chip breaker which might suggest they are fairly thick.

Mike, all the testing was with the chipbreaker.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek, I must have misinterpreted the information below from the test? At least you know someone is studying your hard work.

(2 and 3) #4 Custom Veritas with 50-degree frog, both with set- and un-set chipbreaker.

(4 and 5) #4 Stanley Bedrock (45 degree frog), using a custom M4 blade, both with set- and un-set Veritas chipbreaker.

Below: Custom Veritas with 50-degree frog and configured chipbreaker …
    Below: Custom Veritas with 50 degree frog and unconfigured chipbreaker …

Mike, I may have misunderstood your comment. My correction reflected your reference to the results with the 42 degree frog in the Custom #4 in the other thread. That was used with the chipbreaker.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I am frequently guilty of trying to follow too many trains of thought in a single post. My reference to the 42 degree frog had to do with another direction I was following in regard to 30 degree hollow grinds in BU plane blades.

I am still wondering how thick the PM-V11 blades are in the new custom Veritas planes? I am also wondering how hard/easy/precise the custom planes are to adjust for depth on the fly compared to Stanley or LN planes?