Thread: Now I'm in trouble! What do I do?

Now I'm in trouble! What do I do?

I was cleaning out my Google Voice spam folder and found two of these from December and two from October:
    "Hey, and this message is intended to contact you regarding an enforcement action executed by the United States treasury intending you're serious attention ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt to avoid initial appearance before a magistrate judge or a grand Julie for a federal criminal offense my number is 770-884-4955 I repeat It's 770-884-4955 I advise you to cooperate with us and help us to help you thank you. Hi, My name is David Great, and this message is intended to contact you regarding an enforcement action executed by the United States treasury intending you're serious attention ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt to avoid initial appearance before a magistrate judge or a grand Julie for a federal criminal offense my number is 770-884-4955 I repeat It's 770-884-4955 I advise you to cooperate with us and help us to help you thank you. Hi, My name is David Great, and this message is intended to contact you regarding an enforcement action executed by the United States treasury intending you're serious attention ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt to avoid initial appearance before a magistrate judge or a grand Julie for a federal criminal offense my number is 770-884-4955 I repeat It's 770-884-4955 I advise you to cooperate with us and help us to help you thank you."

The Oct and Dec ones had different numbers and names, so apparently there are two investigations. Will they believe me that the messages went to spam?

You're not serious, are you? Google "Hey, and this message is intended to contact you regarding" and stop worrying. Don't call anybody.

No, he's not serious.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

That guy hired a good editor who was able to get that message down to "give me your money!"

Blog Entries
    And just who is this Grand Julie?

Federal prosecutors do not send emails to people being investigated. You usually find out about them with a knock upon your door.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    No, he's not serious.
    That's a relief. I apologize for doubting your ability to know too-dumb-to-take-seriously when you see it, Mr. Lippman. We like to think we're all reasonably intelligent adults and then you see the emails otherwise-intelligent people send around and you wonder what it is that makes people so gullible when they get in front of a computer.

Sadly...there are those who fall for these type of scams.

I know of people who fell for the scam that a family member was in a car wreck in Canada, in touble with the law and needed money to make bail. They wired several hundred dollars to either a K-Mart or Walmart in Canada.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Never been summoned before the Grand Julie before. I wonder if she is fun?
    Paul

I had a call recently from a person with a very heavy Indian accent, who said something like: "I'm from the security department of your computer hard drive.". Unfortunately, my laughter may have given him a hint to improve his story.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Never been summoned before the Grand Julie before. I wonder if she is fun?
    Google Voice doesn't always get it quite right. Interestingly, on all 4 voice mails they got it as Julie. At least they are consistent.

I think they messed up the phone number as Cincinnati is 740 not 770