Thread: Matching an existing raised panel?

Matching an existing raised panel?

Have a client that wants some built-in cabinetry and would like to match her existing kitchen cabinets. The new cabinets will be far enough away that an exact match isn't necessary but I'd like to find something close. The cabinets are pretty distressed as well so getting it spot on won't be as critical. Preferably I would find the profile in a router bit, but do have access to shapers at a buddy's shop. So far the only thing i can find similar is a double ogee raised panel bit from MLCS. Anyone know this profile?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have not seen one just like that. Looks like they might be molded composite or mitred panels rather than one piece wood
    panels. Not sure. Looks to me like the distressing was done by shot gun and then dragging behind car.

Any chance that we're looking at two panels, a small one applied to the larger one?

Boy, that is ugly stuff! I like Tom's onlay suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Boy, that is ugly stuff!
    I've had to replicate worse

Around here, most of the cabinet shops buy their doors from one of two companies that make cabinet doors. It may be that way in your area also.I'd look around and see who makes cabinet doors in your area. If you can't find any, I'd also look at some of the big companies that make doors and cabinet components, like Walzcraft and Conestoga. One of them may have made that door.
    Anyway, I think you'd be better off having that door made than investing in the tooling to make it.
    Rick

Thanks, yeah I may end up farming the doors out, or convincing the client to use something we have. I'm pretty sure its 1 piece center panel after looking at it again but Its possible its overlayed. And yes, I agree its very ugly and the distressing its terrible but she likes the look.

Looks to me like it's overlayed and using the same raised panel cutter for both the inner and outer. Maybe a radius cut on the perimeter of the inner to soften the edge.

If you can jig up your router to an overarm position it would be able to do panels like that with different bits. Don't rout your knuckles.

Dan: what's the chance of replacing all of the doors with new ones? Not sure how many of the old type you have. Looks like they need a lot of TLC anyway. Greg

Yeah, I'd love to replace all of the doors but she actually loves them as is. Honestly, as a whole the kitchen looks pretty good, but personally I think the distressing is terrible. Customer is always right kinda thing. I think she's going to be ok with using a more standard raised panel.