Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Workbench Build - A Journal

Eric, keep at it - re-reading this thread every time you post to it is like watching a nephew or niece grow up. Keep it up!
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Thanks, Jake. I feel like I'm learning to deal with taking baby steps, after trying to take big strides when I first started this project. I need to pay more attention to details, watch for problems, and take my time to do it right.

Glue-up for the second long stretcher has been clamped. This time around was a little easier. I took my time. Took thinner shavings. Got my fit just about right, with a tiny bit of concave area in the center that's easily closed by clamps. After this cures, I'll start flattening/squaring up these doubled-up pieces.

Check out that glue line! It might be a little on the thick side, but it's nice and even along the entire length of the joint.

Joint closed.
    David

I consider that too much glue, Kris, but no worries better than not enough. BTW, the glue line that matters is what you see after the glue is scraped off :-) but sounds like it went together well. I really like spring joints.

I wouldn't spend too much time getting these perfectly straight the only part that matters is the two tenons at the ends making sure there isn't too much twist at the ends because with stretcher that thick you won't be able to do much tweaking to get them to fit.

You will be bolting them in, right? And making the tenon about 1" deep, right?

Robert, these will be bolted in with the barrel nuts and get a tenon about 1-2" long. I had originally thought to make the tenon longer. I'm guessing that's not necessary?

Oh, and if you look right above my posts..? My name is Eric.

Oops sorry someone else name Kris has a workbench thread I think.

No, you don't need tenons longer than 1" if you're using captured bolts. (Actually the plans for my bench call for 1/2" tenons but I did 1"). Remember the shoulders give the strength and stability I would do 1/2" on the sides and 1" top and bottom. Your stretchers are pretty massive which will give tremendous stability to the bench.

When you get those bolts tightened you'll be amazed.

Thanks, Robert. With the height of these stretchers, having a wider shoulder on top and bottom won't be a problem. I'm glad you suggested it, because I'm never quite sure what size they should be. Rules for typical tenons don't cover these situations.

I didn't have much time this morning to work on the bench, but I grabbed one of my stretchers and shaved down the glue line so I could check it out. Looks like it turned out thin and even along the entire length. It's not completely invisible, but it's very thin.

Finally got back to working on my bench. I had a couple of lazy days in my routine, and a weekend of travel for a funeral. It's time to get back on the horse!

I spent time flattening out one side of my doubled up stretcher, then got it thicknessed and squared up. Aside from cutting tenons, the first long stretcher is done! Time to start the next one.

Rolling again.
    David

Started working again today. Didn't get very far. The second long stretcher has multiple knots, making it very clear that my iron needed sharpening. After taking care of the sharpening, tests seemed to go much better. Knots are still difficult to plane through, but it helps a LOT to have a sharp iron. I have a feeling I may need to sharpen a few more times before finishing this piece.

I only had a little available time to work on my bench today. But I did manage to get two sides of my second stretcher squared. Halfway there!

Got my second long stretcher flattened and squared! I'm thinking I might double up the short stretchers, too. At least the ones on the bottom. I plan to place a short stretcher on each side along the top to help support the split top. The top one I'll leave as just a single, unglued piece.

Don't kill yourself trying to get those stretchers perfect.